Thread: [CS4/5][JS] Script causes InDesign to crash

[CS4/5][JS] Script causes InDesign to crash

I am having bit of tribulations by means of some InDesign scripting I am running on, and wonder if anybody else has had the same issue. I have comprised a script that uses app.dialog to prompt for user information in sequence. It then takes the result of that dialog, and uses it in the script. Attractive customary so far, and if I run this from the scripts panel, or from ESTK, it runs extremely well. If I set it up as a Script Menu Action, when I work the script via the menu, it performs, and then crashes InDesign. I have tried this by means of multiple dialogs, and every time a dialog is called from a SMA, InDesign crashes.

Re: [CS4/5][JS] Script causes InDesign to crash

Tranquil crashes InDesign. For what it's worth, the alert gets produced properly, then InDesign locks up and crashes. I imagine the tribulations are the local changeable in your nested "with" statements. By means of statements are BAD. Moreover create those changeable global (i.e. eliminate "var"), or get rid of those by means of statements altogether.

In addition, is this going to maintain the dialog in memory. If so, this seems similar to an attractive annoying bug, in view of the fact that it fundamentally restricts me from creating dialog boxes via a SMA. Dialogs stay in memory if you do not obliterate them. I have never seen destroy () crash InDesign. Try to maintain the destroy () in additional than make the dialog a local changeable.

Your script is running extremely well. I presently tested it on XP/InDesign CS4. I be able to test it one more time on Win7/InDesign CS5. I wonder if it's an OSX thing. I determinate to encompass to try it out on a system at additional time to work. The Win7/InDesign CS5 crashes, additional than when I modify order of destroying dialog and come back, it does not crashes to any further extent. I determine to test it on one additional configuration that is XP/InDesign CS5.

I am able to run the dialog creation script unswervingly from ESTK, and it runs extremely well, additional than if I call it from a menu, InDesign crashes. I tried a small number of additional things (changing the event type, adding additional menu items, etc.) Additional than tranquil cannot get this to work without crashing. Does anybody by means of additional experience in scriptUI be familiar with if this is an issue by means of that as well. OK, I did a bit additional testing, and the script determines to not cause a crash on OSX 10.5 on a G5, or on a Vista32bit system. The merely time I am capable to get it to crash is on a 64bit OS. I in addition tried putting the dialog creation code into a separate scripting and calling it from a do Script. Still crashes.

It's too delayed for that; this has essentially been this way for at the same time as. I ran the dump from side to side Microsoft analysis tool and first it said QuickTime was causing tribulations. My consideration it might have comprised to do something by means of a Bad font (which has been known to cause random crashes previous to), additional than when I checked, I originate this through Google.

At the same time as browsing the Help on submission (my own version or description, of course) for an additional query, I noticed Application. Presentation Metrics for the first time. It seems you are able to query the internal state of ID on lots of things maybe you might throw in a number of debug lines, recording items that might be tenuously linked to scripts, files, and graphics resources. You might start by means of the Handle count (most probably file handles) and GDI object count (for the reason that you are running by means of Window objects for a dialog). Perhaps even create certain the entire Memory (xxx) alternatives as well. There are even a small number of directly related to Scripting resources usage.