Thread: Resizing images in InDesign

Resizing images in InDesign

I have been comprised trying to symbol out for a couple hrs at present why I cannot presently resize an image that I imported into my document by immediately changing the width/height in the control panel. When I do this, immediately the object frame get bigger, not the image that was placed inside of it. I be familiar with that I be able to do a "Fit to frame," additional than I am importing and resizing 2000 images and it is not simple that method at the entire. I read on some additional forums that this is a bug in CS3. Several assist would be much appreciated as I have to complete a 400pg catalog with in and I am on the first page.

Re: Resizing images in InDesign

The most excellent way for you is to create your box and make that box fit to frame and then maintain copying that box and then position the file in the copies of the box and repeat this method is the most excellent way indesign is dissimilar from additional programs there is frame resize in addition there is picture resize what you are doing is frame resize. If you desire picture resize immediately hit it off the pointer next to the most important pointer (direct select pointer) then utilize that and resize.

Yours is a superior query, additional than regrettably, as far as I be familiar with, InDesign would not mechanically resize images, subsequent to you have dragged an image into its frame. I imagine I have seen where you are able to purchase a plug-in that determines to facilitate this, but on its own, InDesign does not do this. One thing to make a note of regarding InDesign is that when you place or drag an image into the program, it previously has a frame (or "box"). In additional words, you do not have to draw an image box in organize to place an image. Once you place it in the program, whether you drag/drop or Place, it mechanically has a frame.

I imagine Quark got us the entire in the mindset that we necessitate a box previous to we be able to place an image, then we place the image into the box and allocate a stroke, border color, etc. By means of InDesign you do not have to do several of that. In view of the fact that the image mechanically has its own box, you are able to assign stroke width, stroke color, background color, etc, on the fly, using the existing frame as your boundary. That said, I do understand what you are saying regarding needing your images to fit surrounded by a 4.75 square box, and not encompass to resize the boxes. And there are some things you are able to do in order to help this along.

You are almost certainly doing this, additional than create certain your images are the accurate size in Photoshop, previous to importing them into InDesign. In view of the fact that you do not have to draw a picture box in InDesign, if you create certain your image is 4.75 square to begin by means of, in Photoshop, you be able to then assign a border, etc., on the fly as mentioned, when you place the image into InDesign.

An additional thing you be able to do in InDesign is to utilize the Fitting command to shift your image within its boundaries. If you have encompass a 4.75 square box and the image does not fit right surrounded by that frame and you do not desire to go to the trouble of trying to center it physically utilize Fitting to shift it. Utilize the Place command (beneath the File drag down menu), and place the image in a rectangle frame that you have formerly drawn. Then utilize the alternatives under the Fitting fly out menu to shift the object approximately.

There is a difference connecting resizing something vs. scaling something in InDesign. Resizing is basically altering the Width and/or Height values of an objective (i.e. picas, points, inches, etc.), whereas scaling involves using a percentage significance and creates reference to the frame’s original “scale” (100%). By defaulting, when the frame is chosen (and not the frame contents) changing the values of the Width and Height fields determine to merely alter the frame, not its contents, regardless of what selection tool you have active.