Thread: Import Open Office .odt into InDesign

Import Open Office .odt into InDesign

Hello,
    I received an OpenOffice file 230 pages with tons of links. Obviously I can not place it directly in ID. I also got this file .doc but it lost its ties to the passage. By opening it in OpenOffice, I tried different recording format and it keeps its links. Rtf but when I place this file. Rtf (which weighs 17.8 MB) I plant ID. I opened it using TextEdit, it not only full of links but there are tables you want in there. So, do you have any solution for this? Any help will be great. Thank you.

Re: Import Open Office .odt into InDesign

Your "links" or "hyperlinks" in your message will not work in InDesign, is not really made to handle hyperlinks. So I wonder if I understood. If I understand correctly, you will be given a document .odt which should you use a basic text in InDesign layout. So, i guess this will be little bit tedious job to do.

ID perfectly handles hyperlinks, at least I've never had a problem. What I want to do is convert my .odt file in X that I could sink in ID while keeping the internal and external links. The purpose of the doc, a program for teachers who end up on a CD.

A PDF for a fact, I suppose. I confess to never having had the opportunity to use these functions with links indesign (I think the XHTML more flexible for that). You kept saying that the RTF your links but it does not crash InDesign. Have you tried dividing the number of documents in RTF?

It loses his ties in passing ... But I have already done this kind of manip but from a file. Doc is in word. The problem is the file. Odt. And I can not split the doc as there are many internal links. I tell myself that I referrer in acrobat but there are over 200 links and I'll lose a lot of time.

Strange, I did a quick test of a text containing a hyperlink that I saved in Word97 and the link is included in Word. Obviously I'm not 200 links, not dozens of pages. . And then there is likely to rely on OO for one day finally get rid of MS Office. So I hope you find your solution.

I tried ... without a result as conclusive. Open the document saved in Open Office Word97/2000/XP - a doc. So - it all sunk in ID and link. But I got a reason: I copy-paste the text page by page word to ID. I see no other solution. The text is a huge painting in which there are dozens and dozens of other tables. And when I want to convert the table into text is full of texts that are disappearing. Enough work as galley! I'm outta my head a little on this, but I like it.