Thread: Using Java within an Adobe AIR app to interact with the desktop

Using Java within an Adobe AIR app to interact with the desktop

I have just creating an Adobe Air application with the help of Adobe Flex 3 but the project on which I am functioning currently on to perform a function that flex does not seem to allow.

What I require is when a user of my generated application clicks on a button that is within the application the F1 key will be outputted to the OS/Desktop. So for instance if F1 is binded to a specific program installed on the OS somewhat , pressing F1 on the desktop would launch this program.This may occur very strange and I can be clutching at straws by asking about Java on this forums but I told you already that this would need Java to work and I am not actually sure that where else to go on ..

Re: Using Java within an Adobe AIR appl to interact with the desktop

In the connecting between the OS or applications external to Flex / AIR, there is always the option of working a socket server which will receive the commands from your Flash/Flex/AIR application to perform such types of tasks . You could also implement and work with a web server, web services or a servlet to finish such type of task (read: security requires some thought).

There is one more concept in order to this Merapi , that needs some Java chops. If this one post answered your query or helped and in case, if not then you can post below if you are running with more confusions ...

Thanks

Yeah ! The Merapi will definitely looks interesting but this is the Java chops section that I think that I will fall down. I have also queried on a Java related forum if someone with the experience of working with the Flex in the combination with Java can generate the function that I am after but my topic has been avoided... I have never got this about the socket server. Would they be needed to be installed on every system that makes the interface is installed on? I will surely look into this .

I am going to make an intranet application that is based on the 3D display an would run as a java applet. I am just searching AIR, and it seems very unique and best one product issues by adobe , so I think, this will support the inclusion of java applets in HTML-dependent projects. Unfortunately, this one project needs it (I haven't got a non-java-dependent solution capable of attractive uv-mapped 3D object display). If AIR have any compatibility with that.Please suggest me something about the same ...

Thanks!