Thread: Error code 8e5e0158

Error code 8e5e0158

I am getting some issue with Windows Live Messenger. Whenever I trying to login into Windows Live Messenger, I immediately get error message with error code 8e5e0158. I don't any idea about how to avoid this error type of error. I have tried many solution for this, but nothing was helpful. If anyone knows solution to resolve this issue, then please doesn't hesitate to let me know that.

Re: Error code 8e5e0158

I suggest you to refer following steps to avoid this error:
    • First you need to open hidden folder from the following path:
      C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts
    • Then then you will need to delete all content from this folder.
    • Final steps is to restart your windows live messenger.

It seems that you have disabled your firewall and because of this it might causing issue to your messenger. Try reboot and perceive if that helps the situation. You can try to uninstall a firewall to make sure that it doesn’t cause a problem. If you use a firewall, it is possible that Messenger does not have the suitable rights to access the internet, particularly since the upgrade.

I am also getting same error while login with windows messenger. I have gone through all of the solution, but still getting same error. I also enabled the firewall as per mentioned in the above suggestion. But this solution also didn't make any difference in the issue. Does anyone posses solution other than this?

I recommend you to upgrade your current version of your windows live messenger. I am telling this becasue upgradation mostly solve this type of errors. I think you also need to try to uninstallation of your firewall as it might generating this issue. You also need to make sure that you are provide the correct password.

hey.. I tried to follow your instructions but as I was deleting the content of Windows Live Contacts. There is one file and when I choose delete, a small window comes up with an 'x' on it and it says Cannot delete contacts.edb: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.
    Do you know what should I do? :/

thanks, Marina

Quote Originally Posted by marina LN View Post
    hey.. I tried to follow your instructions but as I was deleting the content of Windows Live Contacts. There is one file and when I choose delete, a small window comes up with an 'x' on it and it says Cannot delete contacts.edb: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.
    Do you know what should I do? :/

thanks, Marina
    You can download and use Dr. Delete program by searching it on google and with with this program you can easily erase on next PC reboot annoying files like index.dat, dlls, etc that cannot be otherwise deleted. Dr Delete allows you to remove on next PC reboot annoying files like index.dat, dlls, etc that cannot be otherwise deleted. It has a very simple interface, load up Dr. Delete and there's two buttons: Browse and Delete. Click browse, find the troublesome file then click Delete.