Thread: Adobe Reader 9.3 - Network Distribution - Update Setting Disable??

Adobe Reader 9.3 - Network Distribution - Update Setting Disable??

I am going to set up the distribution and accessibility on the Adobe Reader v9.3 to near about 200 computers with the help of a third party utility which we use in my place of employment. I need to turn off the update setting within Reader before going to assign the accessibility for this one software.

I used the Customization Wizard to configure the specified properties in the msi file including:- Online and Acrobat.com Features - Disable All Updates, Disable all Acrobat.com access and as well as I have also moved through the Direct Editor > File configuration and dropped any rows which seems to be associated with the "updates". After all these things , when I push the program out to a client, when I move to the Edit menu => Preferences => Updater within Reader, the configured with the "Automatically download updates, but allow me to choose when to install them" is configured !!
    Last edited by visioneye; 29-06-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Re: Adobe Reader 9.3 - Network Distribution - Update Setting Disable??

Are you confirm that the mst which is occurred by the Customization wizard is actually getting applied during that ? Are different configuration from Customization wizard getting applied? That being said, making Disable all updates configurations enabled, it should make a registry key in HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\FeatureLockDown known as bUpdater. The dword value must be configured with the 0.

When you complete the installation of the Adobe product on your machine , Adobe also performs the installation of the Adobe Updater tools. This one software runs when you open an Adobe application and check to get if any updates are ready and applicable for the specified program. You also capable to configure the settings of Adobe Updater to suit your personal preferences. You also can get the Adobe Updater on different platform, In order to this, it is also available on Mac machines as well as Windows-based computer system .

You have to follow the suggested steps below that would be helpful for you to configure up the updates settings.

• Launch the Adobe Updater. For Mac machines,move to the "Applications" directory, browse "Utilities," expand "Adobe Utilities," open "Adobe UpdaterX" and make double-click on the "Adobe Updater." For windows based system, move to "Program Files," expand "Common Files," open "Adobe," launch the "UpdaterX" and then finally launch the "Adobe_Updater.exe."
    • Click on the "Preferences" button after Adobe Updater checks for updates.
    • There would be a checkbox, tagged there to show if you need Adobe Updater to automatically search and come up for updates.
    • The Drop-down menu also would be there, you have to choose the applied frequency with which the updates should occur.
    • Choose whether you need the make the updates to download automatically or if you need Adobe Updater to ask you before downloading updates.
    • Go with the checkboxes to suggest that which one application Adobe Updater should update.
    • Click on the "Browse" button to choose the path specified where Adobe Updater should download the updates. Click on "OK" button to save the chnages .

Does Adobe facilitates a solution for centrally update with its programs ? I am consiodering about something as WSUS for Windows Updates or Mac OS X server centralized update server. One solution that can control, monitor and makes us to only download the applcable updates once for each one computer.

I am in a netwrok system where more than 100 Macs and near about 50 computerrs each with Adobe CS 4 installed. It is seems stuck if not impossible to update Adobe softwares. It needs a large bandwith capability and far too much manual manipulates. If someone here can help me would really appreciated.

Primarily, I was just considering that the Preferences configuration on the Adobe Updater application would allow for the updates to be shared from a network drive but instead I caused chaos as all of the systems which were updating overwrote and removed every files.

Since the open the CS4, I have had downloaded in the region of near about 4Gb of updates to each one system with CS4 and you actually do require these updates for the softwares to work as expected.Currently, our trainers are moving round every system individually and manually updating the system after their classes every Friday and skipping the Updater to launch over the weekend but it is not a long term fix for a professional software application.Do you have any idea if Apple Remote Desktop can be used to launch the updates or script the request for updates? I am searching for a solution, can you make it available please .....