Thread: Adobe Reader v9.3 getting "unknown file type" message on download

Adobe Reader v9.3 getting "unknown file type" message on download

I have installed the Adobe Reader 9.3 replacing version 5.1 on my Windows XP machine. I am using a Microsoft automatic update feature configured "on" so I assume that overall my Windows XP (Internet Explorer v. 6) is updated. I am suffering with a issue when downloading PDF files from trusted Internet sites. There is no longer getting seamless presentation of the data from the file. Instead, I receive the pop up security warnings that I have to click to continue and then when I try to download the PDF it suggests me that the file type is "unknown". Is this a Version 9.3 issue or a Windows XP (Internet Explorer v 6) issue or both? Do you have any solution regarding this ?

Re: Adobe Reader v9.3 getting "unknown file type" message on download

Sometimes, the direct upgrade procedure can cause the issues and I think, the same id going on with you. Would you tell me something that have you done the uninstallation of 5.1 before installing 9.3 ? As I stated above upgrading to the directly with another version usually works fine, but skipping so mnay versions without going through the uninstallation of the first can lead to numerous issues.The provioulsly installed components of adobe reader should be permanently removed before going to upgrade..

Actually, I have installed the 9.3 first and then after removed the 5.1 version of Reader which was previously installed . I have been trouble shooting the issues ever since. Have researched about the Internet Explorer options and tried few of the option changes with marginal success. The Microsoft site also has not been helpful now for me but that's my another section to investigate the research. I also running with a new one laptop which is installed with Windows 7 and Reader 9.3 installed -There is no any issues but that computer was pre-configured by the vendor.

Thanks.

The 9.3 update is flawed according to me, I am running with the version that has been auto updating for years and now it poped up with the error message as "Version 9.3 failed to install". Clicked OK and that it. There are entire references to Adobe Acrobat have been destroyed from my windows registry there is no shortcuts displayed and I am unable to start the program from the program files section. The rest of the files all associated with the Acrobat 8 and there is no method, I am getting through which I can be able to read the .pdf files - apart from Open Office! Somebody here running with the same issues here ?

I also have installed the Acrobat Reader, and have never had Acrobat (full version of that ) to my knowledge, unless it provided with the CS3 or CS4. The issue is fixed by downloading the softwares from the Adobe official website. It installs and works with no problem. As I said before, its an update problem. From experience with different updates for Adobe programs, I am not in the least surprised. They probably break and have to be re-installed, but I have never had them cleaned out my software and leave no traces at all.

However, downloading different copy fixed the issue. I turned off the updates and will only moved them back on when I need to do as - within my control.