Thread: Install and run Adobe Reader on an external hard drive / flash drive

Install and run Adobe Reader on an external hard drive / flash drive

Hello everyone, I am going to install the adobe in different manner which I didn't done before. I was just thinking to install Adobe Reader on a flash drive so that the stored PDF documents on the flash drive can be read be me and if some other users are going with the same flash driver on another Windows system can read the PDF documents without installing the adobe reader on that . Is this possible to do ?

Re: Install and run Adobe Reader on an external hard drive / flash drive

According to me that couldn't be as you stated here to do . When you install the Adobe Reader onto your computer system , the register information is automatically typed on Registry for the current windows operating system . You require that to open your adobe reader when your need to browse the PDF. So it is impossible to perform like this . Of course, you can associate a setup program in your disk. If your friends' machine where windows is already installed, and do not have installed the adobe reader, he could install it briefly for use.

Commonly, it is not possible to do in any situation because as stated above when you install any program then the prior information about the installed program is stored in the windows registry and capable to run that program on same machine and id you will move on to another system then the same entry would not be used for another system and the software will search the information on another connected system and wouldn't find anything like that ..I can't say if any third party application can do it as you want ..

chroma, you are right ..It can be done with the help of another third party application software. Sumatra PDF Portable is one of the lightweight Sumatra PDF packaged as the portable application through which you are able to view PDF files on different machines. You can place this on your USB flash drive, iPod, portable hard drive or a disk and use this on any machine without spending any personal information in different side.

I am running with little bit confusion here and you can say this is also included in the issues to implement .Does someone are aware about the ways through which I can be able to direct acrobat reader 9 with a separate drive when installing that software ? It always saved the installation in defaults location as drive C. I need to save it on drive D. How would I do that .. Please help me !!!

There are several, you can measure it as hundred (if not thousands) of references to the windows registry files within the \Windows\System 32 from within Reader. The registry keys likewise reference to a program in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader directory.

Unless you are able and desired to go in and rewrite the code for each and every single reference with the last file of the program so that they point for a registry on a different drive from the program itself, and vice-versa and you will get that it would not perform and if it does it will continuously crashing, and occurring you the errors all the time.There are portable readers that are constructed to run without the registry references (just as from a Flash drive) but they would not work as well as Reader in every situation. You have to go for running the disk cleanup, defragmenting your C:\ drive, and running a compression to free up file space.