Thread: Embedding an Adobe font using Cufon

Embedding an Adobe font using Cufon

Hi everyone,
    I require some clear specification from Adobe or somebody in the know on whether I can legally embed a font such as VAG Rounded that contains a 'Print & Preview' license with the help of a method like Cufon (which is similar to the sIFR)? I have already visited on that site where, I got some suggestion that entire Adobe fonts are 'Known to be safe' but I would like to be sure about this.. Please suggest me something about this !!!

Re: Embedding an Adobe font using Cufon

I am also running with the confusion just as Sarag having. I would also need to know if I am going to use the Cufon to render the font from our licensed Adobe Type Library in a website -- in my situation , ITC Franklin Gothic (this is for both the medium and bulky versions of that). Please let me know more about this ....

I don't think, there should be any problem using cufon for you and it really would be fine. It provides several features.. Cufon allows for text replacement same as to the sIFR, but you can use this without the installation of any plash player. This opens up the design possibilities with the help of multiple fonts without creating Flash as a requirement. The Cufon is compatible to run wiht the Internet Explorer 6/7/8, Mozilla Firefox 1.5+, Safari 3+, Opera 9.5+, and Google Chrome, There are all without the requirement of the Flash player.

Using Cufon’s online creator utility, a font file such as (TTF, OTF, PFB, or PostScript) is converted into a group of vector locations and saved into the Javascript file usable by the Cufon library. On your page, you then import the core Cufon library and the Javascript files for the fonts you needed to work with . With a easy Javascript function calling , the entire text file within a provided CSS selector can be converted into another font.

From the Internet Explorer, Cufon uses IE’s ability to natively display VML to render the latest font. In different browsers, Cufon manipulates all with the help of canvas tag to create a new font. And since the font is saved as vector location for each glyph, any size or word can be shown there . The previously required way of drawing the image for custom fonts is limited to the images which were pre-made. Cufon opens the possibility for working with the non-standard fonts on blogs and on different sites with dynamic content.

There's a catch working with the Cufon. The license for a font may or may not facilitate this to be embedded in the page. Before using this , the images that we have made using a font has a subset of the font’s glyphs and within a rasterized form. Using Cufon, all of the group of glyphs is shown in vector form, making this possible for Cufon and potentially someone else to create text with this. More easily, it is technically possible that somebody could take Cufon’s version of the font and work with this for their own task, commonly running with a copy for free from us! This license issue is same as to that of the CSS3 @font-face attribute.