Thread: Adobe Digital Editions for Linux

Adobe Digital Editions for Linux

Hi, as you all might be knowing I am a Linux user, am in need of Adobe Digital Editions for my system. I tried to find it out but got that it has not been released yet.. Am I right? If yes, please tell me when is Adobe going to release the same? Linux support is rising progressively and there is insist for this creation on the Linux Platform. Please let me know if it is released?

Re: Adobe Digital Editions for Linux

At present you can simply get the standalone installable Windows version from the adobe download section. I tried it successively under wine and was also able to even activate it. But note that in case you are unable to operate your library then you will be on your own as there is no support for the same. Adobe did assure Linux edition for a while ago however at the present they have no such procedure. For myself, I will stay downloading books devoid of DRM. I expect that they will execute DRM shortly or afterward because it is in fact anti-customer crap.

At the moment Adobe Digital Editions is not compatible with LINUX by means of a promised edition that is due in coming times. I require running Adobe Digital Editions to utilize an academic website that utilize the DRM elements of DE to lend out piece of writing to the client for a defined stage of time. The 2 pre necessities of DE while running on Windows Vista are Adobe Flash 9.0 and Adobe READER 8.0.

I use to run this both using the Linux edition of the application. I expect to access DE using WINE, but I am not sure as the application is a Rich Internet Application, it won’t download and install as a regular .exe file.

Even I tried to find out about how I can make DE run for a while also. My requirement is little different from you however I have a small number of PDF files for which I want DRM authorization. Am presently trying to get my PDFs authorize by DE. I have already installed the same. The stuffs I went through was I tried to search in the Windows shortcuts and locate from where the .exe was being pulled. IN Windows XP the default location is:
    C:\Documents and Settings\(USER)\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\www . macromedia.com\bin\digitaleditons1x5\digitaleditio ns1x5.exe
    I just copied and installed this .exe by way of Wine. Guess what, it works properly although yet am unable to read any DRM PDF files.

As for me Adobe Digital Editions is working fine with WINE. What I required to do was just navigated to the said folder on my windows partition, did a right click in Nautilus and selected to open via WINE. After this it started installing into WINE. Next I copied the Digital version folder to WINE C: drive. Next I needed to hold the DRM'd book and drop it into the running program.

Adobe Digital Editions is presented in the form of a plugin, which automatically takes place within the web browser. Role is to allow reading files in PDF or XML-based publications, through an interface provided for the convenience of the user.

Use the free Adobe Digital Editions to read and organize e-books or other publications. Digital Editions is implementing a RIA (Rich Internet Application) Internet self-replacing functions of an electronic book (eBook) earlier versions of Acrobat.When you install Digital Editions, the elements of your existing bookshelf are automatically imported and made available within the new universe of Digital Editions bookshelf. You can also manually import PDF documents in your Digital Editions bookshelf.