Thread: Is there any way to isolate the .torrent files in use by the client

Is there any way to isolate the .torrent files in use by the client

I am using Windows XP operating system currently. I want to upgrade the same to Windows 7. For doing the downloads, I am using the famous torrent application called uTorrent. There are torrent downloads going in there still. About 5000 downloads are going on. So, I want to know that is there any way to isolate the .torrent files in use by the client. In this way, I will be able to get these files in the manner they are when I upgrade the operating system. Please provide some suggestions soon.

Re: Is there any way to isolate the .torrent files in use by the client

First of all, you must know that you cannot upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. You can only format the system and do a clean install of the Windows 7 operating system. My suggestion to such users who change from Windows XP to Windows 7 is that never do an install by removing the older operating system. This is because there will be many problems while using Windows 7. So, make your computer a dual boot system, that is keep both the operating systems.

So, there will be no need for a technique to isolate the .torrent files in use by the client.

Inorder to isolate the .torrent files in use by the client, I guess that there is a need to backup %APPDATA%/utorrent folder. I am not sure that this is a successful method or not. But, this is what has to be done while backup the torrent files, whole downloads are going on. But, I have heard that it is recommended that the And remove .torrent option has to be used for the backup to be successful.

Just follow the steps that are given below to isolate the .torrent files in use by the client:
    • The Recycle Bin has to be emptied.
    • After that, close uTorrent.
    • Now, the backup of the %appdata%\uTorrent folder has to be taken.
    • At this moment, start uTorrent.
    • Then, go to Preferences and Advanced and then, gui.delete_to_trash must be set to true.
    • All the torrents have to be selected. Right-click now and select Remove And. After that, click on Delete .torrent.
    • You will have to wait for a moment now.
    • Go to the Recycle Bin and you will be able to find the torrent files there.
    • Remove all the torrent files from %appdata%\uTorrent.
    • You need to restore these files that are in the Recycle Bin in the new operating system that you install.

I have used the same steps that are given in the above reply by JonathanD to isolate the .torrent files in use by the client. So, I can assure you that this is a very successful method. Well, I had upgraded from Windows XP to Windows Vista. I do not know about Windows 7. I have heard that there are many issues with Windows 7. It is recommended by most of the experts that this operating system must not be installed or upgraded.

Thanks for all the replies and comments on this topic that I have started. Anyways, I have not tried any of the methods that you people have given. I will try them today and let you know if it has helped me. I will try out the steps given by JonathanD first, as 2 people have told that this is a successful method. I will let you people know if I am facing any issues with the steps.

We are always here to help. Just post the problem that you will face for implementing these steps. Since, the users are experienced on how to go about it, you will surely get the required solution. I hope that you must have tried out the steps till now. Just let us know if the steps were successful or not. Waiting for your reply.