Thread: Is it possible to transfer a torrent from one computer to another?

Is it possible to transfer a torrent from one computer to another?

I have a small question about torrents in my mind. I have a torrent file which has number of videos added to it. I have downloaded some videos from the torrent file on my computer but the network card of the computer has gone bad and hence there is no internet connectivity on the computer. So I want to know if it is possible to transfer a torrent from one computer to another for continuing the download? Please share some information about this issue. Thanks in advance.

Re: Is it possible to transfer a torrent from one computer to another?

I am afraid that it is not possible to transfer the torrent file from one computer to the other for continuing the progress of the download. When the torrent is transferred to the new computer, it will be treated as a fresh torrent and download will be started from the beginning. Hence the files which you have downloaded already will be wasted.

This really is an odd question but still you can try to move all the files associated to the torrent from one computer to the other and load the associated torrent in the new computer and see if the progress of the download is retained or not. The only thing you should take care about is the torrent client which you are using. It is very essential to use same torrent clients on both the computers.

Thanks for replying to the post really fast. You have mentioned that I copy all the files associated to the torrent from the old computer to the new computer, so does that mean I copy all the files including the files which have already downloaded? Should the storage location for the files have the same name as the old computer?

Yes you will have to move all the files associated to the torrents including the files which are already downloaded. Also the files should have the same storage location on the new computer as the location on the old computer. I think all these conditions would be necessary for the torrent to resume the download. Hope it works.

I tried to copy all the files associated to the torrent to the computer but it did not work. The torrent started from the beginning and hence I think it is not possible for transfering the torrent from one computer to other computer. I think I will have to download all the files from the beginning. I will suggest that there should be some provision provided for such situations.

mine is i using bitcomet to dowload my torrnets. while i was downloading a torrent i lost the connection. so what i want is to continue the torrent in another pc and another software (Utorrent). can i do that? and if yes how?

Quote Originally Posted by crokey View Post
    mine is i using bitcomet to dowload my torrnets. while i was downloading a torrent i lost the connection. so what i want is to continue the torrent in another pc and another software (Utorrent). can i do that? and if yes how?
    I dont think so, its not possible at all. Because the half downloaded file is saved on one system with the specific client. So how it can be transferred to another pc and on different client. Also, all users those have posted above said the same thing. You have to continue on the same pc with same client or start on another PC from scratch.