Thread: windows 7 64bit floppy disk drive issue

windows 7 64bit floppy disk drive issue

Hello I have windows 7 64bit home premium running on an athlon ii x4 and a 790x chipset all on a gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P. My problem is that the floppy disk drive cannot write and read floppies properly. It can read information on floppies maid on other computers but if you try to write a file to the disk then take it out and put it back in it shows now files are on the disk but in the disk properties it shows that space has been taken on the floppy disk. I read on other forums that people did a bios update and there drives worked in windows however I updated to the newest bios that gigabyte has for my board F8e but the drive still doesn’t work right and gigabyte has no specific bios update to address this problem. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Re: windows 7 64bit floppy disk drive issue

There is a possibility that the Floppy disk drive may have been disabled or get reset. This is the thing that is been caused and you are not able to work well with the same. So in order to work well or function it is necessary that you check for the settings and then try toy reconnect the drive by disconnecting it. Check out.

Well I know it’s not a hardware problem because the drive works normal booting from dos floppies. The settings in windows 7 seem fine the controller drivers and floppy disk drive driver are all installed and in bios I tried playing around with the floppy settings but nothing worked. And I did try the disconnecting and reconnecting the drive but it didn’t work I also tried uninstalling it and then reinstalling from the driver manager but still nothing.
    Last edited by DataTrain Elite; 16-06-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Start Windows in Safe mode and try to access the floppy disk drive. To start Windows 95 in Safe mode, restart your computer, press the F8 key when you see the "Starting Windows 95" message, and then choose Safe Mode from the Startup menu. To start Windows 98 in Safe mode, restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key after your computer completes the Power On Self Test (POST), and then choose Safe Mode from the Startup me. Check more about it on the Microsoft.

when i started in safe mode the disk drive was the same still can't read or write to floppys or do a full format

Ok I finally found the solution after such a long time. I found on another forum that if you go into the BIOS and then go into the power setting and disable the HPET (High Precision Event Timer) setting the floppy drive will work normally in windows 7.