Thread: Bootmgr issue Please Help!!!

Bootmgr issue Please Help!!!

okay so check this out, i now have 5 hard drives, i was running windows 7 x64 on one of them, i bought a new OCZ Vertex 2 Solid State drive, i disabled all drives except the ocz, installed windows vista first, then ran my upgrade to windows 7 it was stable and able to boot, i plugged in my other drives to the comp and thats when my errors started happening, i kept getting the bootmgr missing press ctrl+alt+del message popping up.

i've searched far and wide to resolve this issue. i've tried making all of the other drives inactive except my SSD, i've tried the startup recovery, i've tried many guides to manually replace the bootmgr. nothing seems to be working, i'd like to be able to use my hard drives all in the same system.

at the moment when i boot up with no windows disk in it comes up in the windows boot manager and tells me to insert my windows disk and restart and do the repair your computer it says

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

i don't understand why nothing seems to work... when i try to run the repair it comes up with nothing being wrong, i can try a fresh install again but that would be the 3rd time doing that and i don't think i will notice any difference... please help thanks

Re: Bootmgr issue Please Help!!!

I suppose you need to rebuild the BCD store by using the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment. To do this, follow these steps:
    • Insert your Windows Vista installation disk into your drive.
    • Restart your computer.
    • When asked for a key press, Press Enter.
    • Choose your desired language, time, currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next button.
    • Select Repair your computer
    • Since you have multiple installation, you may be asked to choose which operating system you want to repair, select the one you want and then click Next.
    • In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click on Command Prompt
    • Type "bootrec /rebuildbcd" and finally press ENTER

If the Bootrec is able to locate the Windows installation, then it will ask you to add the entry to the BCD store, type Yes to complete the procedure. However, if it isn't then you need to remove the BCD store, and then rebuild it once again. Type the following commands:
      Code:
      bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
      Code:
      ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
      Code:
      bootrec /rebuildbcd
    • Finally restart your computer for changes to take effect.

firstly, Sergio thank you so much for replying and trying to help, if you have any further suggestions after what i'm about to reply please let me know...

that said, i've seen your suggestion all over when i google this problem and believe me i've tried it... maybe i shall post all the methods i've tried, (if i can remember all of them) and what happened.

firstly when i try your method this is what happens.
    when i type bootrec /rebuildbcd i get a reply stating

operation successfull
    and (forgive me as i don't remember exactly what it states but something like)
    something about windows 0

and this doesn't resolve anything so i move to step two of your suggestion and this is what happens.

i type bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    and i get operation successfull very quickly

i then move to ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    this is where it falls through, it states (again not 100% copy of what it states but something like)
    windows could not find the file.... blah blah

so thats what happens when i attempt this method, tried SO MANY times and get the same results i tried changing the C to other Letters, still same results.

so... that being said, moving to the other options i've tried... i've tried a thread that had me Manually try to move the file from the Windows CD to the C: drive by using the command prompt in the system recovery and typing my
    DRIVE LETTER (which happens to be H
    so i hit H:\ then copy bootmgr (or something like this) to C:\
    and it comes up stating you do not have permission to perform this...

i've tried some other method of a manual

when i ran bcdedit while windows was up at desktop it was coming up with something that looked like this

identifier {bootmgr}
    device partition=D:
    path \bootmgr
    description Windows Boot Manager
    locale en-US
    inherit {globalsettings}
    default {current}
    resumeobject {68aa2c34-f96c-11dd-8318-da4a524cb77c}
    displayorder {ntldr}
    {current}
    toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
    timeout 30

this is not the exact copy of mine but i wanted to bring this up because there was another one below this one that was my windows 7 partition and the "Device Partition = D" did not match on the windows 7 one it said Partition = C, so i went through a guide to manually change this path so that the bootmgr Partition = C not D... this did not work...

umm hmm what else i'm trying to find the other method i tried
    oh yea i tried making all partitions "inactive" as one method stated except for the partition my windows 7 was installed on. when i did this, it changed somethings but still was unable to boot, this is when it stopped stating bootmgr missing press ctrl + alt + del, and started giving me the page i posted in my first post, and after doing this when i booted from the windows DVD it would fail to find the OS, (even though every partition was inactive except the one windows was actually on, and remember at this point i don't have windows on ANY OTHER DRIVES, just the one drive) i ran the repair it repaired something but still did not fix the issue but after this when i boot from DVD it actually finds the windows 7 os now and shows that it is repaired but still no boot success...

just a little background again like i said... when i FIRST installed windows on this system, i had just the SDD plugged in and one other HDD my storage one that did not ever have windows on it, the system worked fine and booted fine, it only started failing after i plugged in my other 3 hdd's one that happened to have my old windows on it, (actually the same copy of windows 7) this was basically a HDD upgrade and i wanted to copy a few files from my old hdd before reformatting it to the new HDD... so once i plugged in those others thats when all this started happening and no matter what when i unplugged the others after this it kept happening... i'm not trying to dual boot, i already reformatted that other drive so i now have no other drives with windows even on them and all other drives are marked as inactive so they shouldn't be trying to be booted from... i'm very frustrated i just wanted to upgrade hard drives and grab some files from the old one before i made it into a storage drive...

now that i reformatted the old version of windows and i'm running on just this one version and all hdd's are marked as inactive except this one that i want windows on and that windows IS currently on i ask this... (if i can't get a fix) should i run my windows 7 upgrade cd to just reformat and re install a fresh copy again of windows 7 on my drive and just see if it works now since all the drives currently have no versions of windows just all the files i want to keep and are inactive does anyone think this will make a difference and possibly work? i wont be taking a dump for re installing as i'm not too worried about any file loss at the moment... just a thought because i am at a loss right now

If you are facing serious issue related to system boot then try FIXBOOT which writes a new boot sector code of Windows in the boot partition. This solves the problem where the Windows XP boot sector is damaged. The Emergency Repair process also fixes the boot sector. The second you can try Fixmbr which repairs the MBR of the system partition. This method applies when a virus has damaged the MBR and Windows can not start.

tried both of those, neither worked... so i went ahead with doing a reformatt and re install of windows 7, after the install is complete i shut system down removed the windows 7 disk tried booting up still boots up BOOTMGR is missing press ctrl + alt + del to continue....

keep in mind this is after a REFORMATT and FRESH INSTALL of windows 7 upgrade... with NO OTHER VERSIONS of windows on ANY other HDD...

for some reason while i was in the process of re installing, when i came to the time where you choose which HDD to install the windows partition to i noticed one of the HDD's says system next to it as opposed to all of the others... even though this hdd doesn't have windows installed on it... so what i did this time was, i took that HDD and one other that is completely blank after a format... brought them to my brothers comp, and copied the files that i wanted to keep from that one to the blank one and then re formatted it, i'm going to pop both back into my system tonight and try re-installing windows again...

any suggesstions on what i should do during my re install... anyone suggest i should have NO OTHER HDD's attatched and install windows and then come by later and hook them up?? (keep in mind i've done this already, But while i had windows installed on one of these other hdd's i know have whiped windows off of all the drives only files that i want to keep remain)

hopefully after performing this format on this drive that was coming up as system, and seemed to have some boot files on it, it will work but i just don't know... its hard to think that the problem could be my SDD as it's brand new and when installed alone with no other hdd's it works fine, the problem only comes up when others become attatched to the system... please help :[

My friend had a similar problem and he thought that it usually occured when 2 drives (not partitioned, but 2 physical HDD) are set to ACTIVE. He encountered this problem several times, and several times he used to tweak BIOS setup, do some calculation, etc. So he came up with a solution: ( assuming by setting BIOS HDD and Boot Sequence right). He unplugged the other HDD and installed Vista. After successfully installed, he took out CD and reboot... Success! After that, he put back the other drive, voila! Another thing, just to let you know, his primary system drive is SCSI HDD. Secondary is SATA. So the concept of Master and Slave is not an issue here. I guess mixed kind of HDD + BIOS settings are the main cause of problem.

i see, well at the moment all of my 5 drives are sata drives... i was thinking about trying to swap there positions around in the mobo like there physical positions just to see if some changes made any type of difference. you wouldn't think they would but who knows, i'll poke around with my boot sequence again, at the moment i do have the one that i'm installing windows on set on the top of the priority... but i'll have to play around with this i guess