Thread: ERROR: code 28 -- Windows XP & USB 2.0

ERROR: code 28 -- Windows XP & USB 2.0

I am unable to connect with my digital camera with my computer installed with Windows XP through the USB port. I ma not getting the problem in this suituation and when I check the USB 2.0 Controller in the Device Manager, I got the yellow exclamation mark (!) in the front to this . When I tried to find out the current situation of the USB 2.0 Controller, the following message displays as follows :
    The drivers for this device are not installed (code 28).
    Would you suggest me something to resolve this issue and it would be appreciated ?

Re: ERROR: code 28 -- Windows XP & USB 2.0

Device Manager error codes are exclusive for the Device Manager. If you got the Code 28 error elsewhere in Windows, this is occurred due to the system incapabilities and this is the system error code that you should not troubleshoot as a Device Manager problem .And you know why this type of error being occurred the Code 28 Error..

A Code 28 error is caused by a loosing the driver for that specific section of hardware. There are any number of causes that a driver might not be installed for a device but your troubleshooting of the issue will be the similar and theer is no matter the root cause.

I didn't installed in such manner before but I read so mnay articles on this and you know it is just because of the support issue and this one message dispalys just because of the Windows XP did not have any compatibiltiy witht the USB 2.0 specification.

However,according to the news regarding this .. As of May 2002, the final release version of the Microsoft USB 2.0 drivers speccially for Windows based operating system is available in the Update section of windows official site . The driver is designated Microsoft USB Driver Version 5.1.2600.0.

I am running with a new Gateway system and I got an error in device manager that I didn't got before and unable to solve anymore.

It is in Unknown Device--Other Devices and it contains a yellow question mark there--error code 28.

I tried to performt thw uninstallation of the device several times but it continuously trying to install with hardware wizard seevral attepts . However, I do not even aware what the device is because it does not suggest me the device id nor the suggested name . I called about this to Gateway tech support personals can not seem to help me either.

You should try this one solution , Just move to device manager and go for the updating the driver for such device, You may require to do this manually.. In the hardware update wizard , choose "No not at this time", next,choose "install from a list or specific location", then press next, choose "Don't search", next, check the box "show compatible hardware" and choose from the list as usual APCI Uniprocessor PC or (APCI Multiprocessor PC if you have dual core ), and many more . Select or use the have disk option and browse the setup disk and then after choose next and OK and restart the whole system .. If you have anymore concerns regarding the same then I would recommend you go for the Gateway customer support guide and manually help from them ...
    Last edited by Archibald; 12-06-2010 at 02:21 PM.

I would also check into my BIOS configuration and tried to find that if any integrated devices like a smart card reader or different internal device is activated but not properly installed . I am aware about this fact on several systems and I have seen also like compact flash readers that were onboard peripherals were activated and not installed it and displays up as unknown hardware and occurs a error code 28. just something to look in to this .

zangali, you need to reboot your machine in case, if you haven't done this already. There is always the slim opportunity that the Code 28 error you are getting in Device Manager was caused by a fluke with Device Manager or in your BIOS configuration. If that is the case, a restart might resolve the Code 28.

Have you install a device or committed a configuration in Device Manager just before you got the Code 28 ? If so, it is very possible that the configurations which you have made caused the Code 28 error. Undo the configuration, reboot your machine, and then check again for the Code 28 error. Based on the configurations that you made, some fixes might include:

1- Remove or reconfigure the recently installed device.
    2- Roll back the driver to the version prior to your modification.
    3- Go for the system Restore to undo recent Device Manager configurations.