Thread: Don't currently have permission, click Continue

Don't currently have permission, click Continue

Just upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista and am trying to get my accounts sorted out. When I'm logged on as a user which is a member of Administrators, I click on another user's folder in C:\Users using Windows Explorer I get a dialog box:

[Window Title]
    RowanB.SSK
    [Main Instruction]
    You don't currently have permission to access this folder.
    [Content]
    Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder.
    [Continue] [Cancel]

If I click Continue I get the "busy mouse" continuously forever (or at least for longer than I was prepared to wait for something that obviously should not take more than a few seconds).

What's going on here?
    1. Why (as administrator) can't I access any folder I want to?
    2. Why does it lock up when I click Continue?
    3. How do I get access to other users' folders?
    4. What's the point of this feature? It surely doesn't help with security if all that is required to get round it is to click one button?

Thanks - Rowan

Re: Don't currently have permission, click Continue

This are some features of Windows 7 and to take Ownership of a File or Folder do the following:

1.Open Windows Explorer, and then locate the file or folder you want to take ownership of.

2.Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

3.Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

4.Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click Other users and groups and, in Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.

5.(Optional) To change the owner of all subcontainers and objects within the tree, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

More information here.

Thanks for this suggestion, but surely this should not be necessary...

I don't want to take ownership of these files and folders, because I guess that would mess up other users' access to them. Surely it must be possible to access files and folders that I don't own - otherwise what would be the point of setting permissions? If I'm logged on as a user which is a member of Administrators, surely I should be able to access all files, otherwise how can I do my job?

Thanks - Rowan

Is that User also the member of Administrator group or he is just a User group with limited access? If you are unsure then go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Local Users and Groups - Users. Here you will be able to find the user account whose folder you want to access. The above steps may vary, since I am on Windows XP.