Thread: Backup of time machine is very large

Backup of time machine is very large

The time machine decline to backup my volumes. I get an error message that says, "Backup too huge for backup volume." The extraordinary thing is that my entirety data storage takes up 770 GB and the hard drive I utilize for Time Machine is 1 TB. Time Machine says it requirements 960 GB for backup at the same time as two days ago it merely desirable 770 GB. I did not add anything to storage of several implications in two days. I necessity say that, thus far, Time Machine has been extremely untrustworthy. It has quit in the middle of backups, from time to time it decline to backup. Frequently the external hard drive would not mount. I merely utilize name-brand exterior hard drives what to do here.

Re: Backup of time machine is very large

I believe you are right regarding TM. I imagine you are superior off using SuperDuper, or Carbon Copy Cloner, and having a bootable backup, primary. TM is a secondary. That said, my tribulations with TM were as yours, in anticipation of you removed iPhoto's "Pictures" folder from the register of backup items. You sensed that for the reason that it was a package (the Library) that it might be recopying the complete Library each time I added pictures, not presently the pictures I added. Never had the difficulty in view of the fact that.

You have two completely independent problems here. First, an I TB drive is merely 976 GB, and that's previous to any formatting. Drive sizes use 1000 bytes = 1K, whereas the authentic number be supposed to be 1.024 K so the difficulty is that your exterior drive is too diminutive. If you have several huge files to backup, they merely would not fit. Your additional problem has nothing to do with TM. Whether a drive mounts or not is independent of several programs that ultimately right of entry the drive. If your drive would not mount, there is something wrong with the drive, the majority probable the firmware. I deduce you are using FireWire and not USB.

As for the hard drive size problem, perhaps I was not completely clear. The backup requirement is 770 GB and at present Time Machine insists it requirements 960 GB. That's the difficulty, not the information that 960 GB is too huge a backup for the drive. I understand that ingredient of the equation. It's the information that Time Machine backed up extremely well to this hard drive for months and at present refuses to do so even although I have added nothing to the drive being backed up. I have even erased the hard drive to start from scrape. Understandably, Time Machine is supposed to backup with no difficulty, starting a innovative archive from scratch. I cannot figure it out.

I am endeavoring to set up my airport tremendous with an exterior hard drive, and utilize time machine wirelessly. I reformatted my hard drive to create fresh. It is 500 GB. I used a USB straight correlation to start off the time machine previous to moving it to the airport tremendous. BUT I get the similar message, backup to huge. My complete backup is supposed to be at 400 GB, so I be supposed to not be getting this message/error.

Time Machine was cheerfully backing up my system in anticipation of, one day, it decided that I did not have sufficient backup space on its selected hard drive and erased the entire the backups excluding for the present one. So, months of history were instantaneously lost. At present it would not backup at the entire, saying that the hard drive is not big sufficient where, clearly, it is. So, I have unplugged Time Machine and am at present using Super Duper. It's not as fancy or clever, but does the work or runs better. One thing Apple requirements to realize—do not screw approximately with backups. Backup software requirements to be rock-solid and Time Machine basically are not. Even when it was running I would infrequently get a failure warning saying that the backup failed. The merely cure was to restart the system.

I have the similar problem except my innovative backup by no means completed. I am backing up a 500gb drive with regarding 400gb of content to an exterior USB drive and subsequent to regarding 170gb was complete I might not resume the backup the following day (yes it is on an old USB1 port) so it took more than a few days. I have the similar problem as OP. And worse, the entire of the old backups have it seems that disappeared from the exterior back up hard drive.