Thread: How to Decompress z01 file

How to Decompress z01 file

I got some zip file in mail. They have some documents in that. The file format is some z01. I am trying to decompression this file. When run the file it shows that there is no support for this file. I am using a Macbook. After that I had download some couple of decompressing application which tool failed. They were prompting for password. How to decompress the z01 file.

Re: How to Decompress z01 file

You can try the same to unzip from Terminal. That will work. In your terminal first type cd /Desktop. Before that keep the zip file on the desktop. Then pass the command unzip file.zip. Once done the command will unzip the file on the desktop. You can move the same to any different folder you want. For that use the command - unzip file.zip -d ~/another/folder.

I am using UnrarX. It is a compression tool which is made for mac and it can uncompressed almost any format of a zip file. It is a free tool. It even extracts files from a zip file if it is password protected. I had never done this. But I found that this application is capable of extracting z01 files. There might be no tool for extracting available in your system. You can try this out.

It looks like that the file which you got in divided into some parts. In zip tool it possible to divide a single file to multiple formats and then mail them. This reduces the size of the file and make it work much easier. For this you have to first collect all the parts and then compress them within one extraction. Second thing if the zip file is password protected then you cannot extract the same until you got the password.

Try out Stuffit Expander. It is a simple tool for archive extraction. If this does not work then you can try out Unrar. The other one is Split & Concat, MacHacha or MacPar Deluxe. This are very effective tool which are used to create and extract archive files. You can download them for free and try out on your zip file. But about the password protected file you need to get the password.

You can do nothing if your file is password protected. If the file is lock then I don't think there is a tool which can extract the file from it. I had tried lots of password recovery software for extracting protected content of Zip files, but nothing works. Still you can download and try them also. There are lots of password recovery software for zip and other files.

Try this out. I am sure the file which you got must be divided to some parts. First create a folder on your desktop. Then use the command to copy them in the folder. Like copy file.z01+file.z02, etc > onefile.zip and hit enter. It will merge all the pieces to a single file. After that you can use Winzip or Winrar any software to decompress those files back.