Thread: Viewing large file

Viewing large file

Hello everyone ,
    I am running with a very large text file to browse that is actually near about 4gb. I have tried to open this in windows but unable to open that because it is so large file. I got an option to do in another platform. So, I would like to know that can I open that file in Linux or if I may be able to get some of the data from that file. If you find so, let me introduce about the method and the commands related to that.

Re: Viewing large file

If you are having this file on the windows and having so much space then you can view that file very easily with the help of some specified commands. There are much more options are available with the command through which you can get whole information about the files that you wanted to open in the Linux OS.Just go through the help section of Linux where you can get more and more commands for these tasks..

For this task you have to use the Linux dependent command known as MORE, this is the command that can be used to to view your stored file. Through this, command, you can view the file page by page. if you need to search some specified text in the file or wanted to perform something else with the file, you have to use the awk.

"AWK is one of the popular language for processing files of text. A file is assumes as the sequence of data records, and automatically each line is treated as a record."

hello dear
    I don't what you have stored into that file which contained the space of 4 GB, I have done so many operations regarding the files and opened near about 100 MB but didn't moved beyond that and never tried with the 4GB file, I would imagine a much sophisticated program should still be able to browse this. I always to go with the Textpad which is one of my favorite Windows text editor. I wanted to know what data you have stored that is taking 4GB?

I know, you don't need to go for Linux OS, if you like to go for the linux then you can go but that will take the same time to open the file and I am not sure how much that will take to open or any future difficulties you can get in linux environment. I know about one of the software named as Large Text File Viewer 5.0
    This is one of the program which is designed for viewing more contented file up to 1GB text files. It is freely available on the internet and uses very less space and is able to open a gigabyte file instantly.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain