Thread: Carbonite or Backblaze or Jungle Disk or Mozy

Carbonite or Backblaze or Jungle Disk or Mozy

I have recently bought a new macbook and i have very good backup solution at home but i just thought about an online backup and found many options. Some of them were Backblaze, Mozy, Carbonite, Jungle Disk. I just want to ask you guys that if you were at my place then which backup utility you could have used to backup your mac? I want to backup some around 1 Tb of data.

Re: Carbonite or Backblaze or Jungle Disk or Mozy

Though i have never used an any of them but i guess Carbonite would be a good utility to back up your mac. There is one problem regarding the space limit provided by the Carbonite as they are just providing an upload limit up to only 100 Gb per month. Which would not be enough to back up your all the data at a time. You may use multiple backup utility to take the backup of your all the data.

Actually it depends on your speed of an internet connection and a price range. Apart from taking the online back up, I would suggest you to get 1 or 2 external drives which would be enough to take the backup of your data and i guess that would be even safe too. You can just have those file with you all the time which does not needs an internet connection.

Backing up data on CDs or external hard drives can eat up a lot of time. You can only manage to do it every so often. And there’s still a chance that these storage devices can be lost, destroyed, or stolen. Mozy is 100% automatic. You always have the most recent versions of your files in a safe online environment that you can access from anywhere. And Mozy is owned by Fortune 500 company EMC, so your files are protected for the long haul.

According to me Jungle Disk would better then all of them. The automatic backup features in Simply Backup and Desktop Edition can have you up and running in no time. With multiple datacenters for reliability and data encryption for security, it’s the safest way to protect your valuable files. It is cheaper as well then others. Desktop Edition also works just like a disk drive on your computer. You can work directly from the network drive, or sync folders to your local disk and to other computers allowing you to have your latest files available anywhere, online or off.

Backblaze does not want to waste your bandwidth or Backblaze datacenter disk space. Thus, we do not backup your operating system, application files, or temporary internet files that are transient and would not be useful in the future. You can see these exclusions by clicking on “Settings” in the Backblaze Control Panel and selecting the Exclusions tab. Some of these excluded files include: ISO (Disk Images), VMC VHD VMSN (Virtual Drives), SYS (System Configuration & Drivers), EXE (Application Files). Backblaze also doesn't backup backups like Time Machine and Retrospect RDB. Backblaze also excludes podcasts in iTunes.

I have seen that the Carbonite is a good online back up utility but i guess it is bit costly as compare to the other online utilities as it charges you the $ 55 per year. But if they are charging more then others then there must be something extra provision from their end. Though i do not have much idea about but i guess you may go to the carbonite.com to know more about it.