Thread: How to run iDefrag on iMac

How to run iDefrag on iMac

Although the MAC file system is much more efficient than Windows, and experts say no need to defrag, the truth is that large files are fragmented and small are not always in the zone of optimal disk Therefore, although not essential unless you do not occasionally defragment the disk on iMac.

There is a need for this program, the iDefrag, but there is a problem bridges FULL want to run a DEFRAG to have active partition because it is locked and can only run a DEFRAG QUICK, that does not touch system files or programs.

The only way I knew was making the drive of my laptop, external doing, booting from another disk and thus can run DEFRAG FULL. But obviously does not plan to go disassembling the notebook every time you want to defragment.

Re: How to run iDefrag on iMac

So Finally I found a system that does not know if it is optimal, but it is very easy, and although some may know, like me has been difficult to find it.

We need iDefrag, the Coriolis CD Maker and a blank CD.

1. Install the iDefrag on the Mac thing and let it record about to run.

2. Install the CD Maker and execute it. This program will allow us to create a CD "bootable" and we also recorded iDefrag it. We asked what computer have, if PPC or Intel, can download the boot files for each of the two platforms. It's also possible to download the Universal version. Finally, we can create the CD "bootable" DVD from our installation.

3. After creating the CD, restart the Mac and pressing the letter C we start from the CD.

4. ILauncher is automatically launched and can run iDefrag, and if we happened to mention that the iPartition in the same house iDefrag also allow us to run.

5. We start and select FULL iDefrag DEFRAG, and after about two hours (in my case) we will perfectly defragmented disk.

For me I have noticed a marked improvement, it will be because the disc had made some foxes both install and uninstall. The CD led us to be valid for any Mac that we have, which will defragment a relatively fast process.

Re: Backup your Mac using Norton

Pre requisites

• Have a PC that is capable of booting from USB (almost every pc less than 2 years)
    • Have an external USB hard drive
    • Having, a CD-ROM only to copy the files from the CD "Symantec Recovery Disk" external hard disk or use software such as Daemon tool to mount the file. ISO that you download Norton Ghost buying fifteen. If you have a netbook, you can ask a friend if you copy the files.

1. Connect your external hard drive to your computer.
    2. From a command prompt (as admin on Win Vista and Win 7) run the diskpart utility by typing "diskpart" without quotes
    3. When done, tap List disk and find your USB drive (my home is the hard one).
    4. Choose your player so typing Salt disk 1 (where 1 is the number of your external hard drive, you can identify with the disk size).
    5. If your external drive contains multiple partitions, type from list and select the correct partition bootable by typing a visit from a salt (If the first partition is the one you get Norton Ghost to copy)

Then you can type "active" to make this partition bootable

Let's recap the commands to type:

1. diskpart
    2. list disk
    3. sel disk x (where x is the number of your external hard drive)
    4. share list (only if you have multiple partitions on your external hard drive)
    5. Salt part 1 (only if you have multiple partitions on your external hard drive)
    6. Active

So there! your external hard drive is ready to receive files from cd "Symantec Recovery Disk": simply drag the contents of the CD on your external hard drive.

It only remains for you and your computer's start by choosing your external hard drive at startup (to change the settings, you must go into the BIOS to do so, press F12 on your keyboard at boot time if you use a Dell and F9 if you have an HP computer)

You can now make a backup and restoration using only the external hard drive! Do not forget that you can also restore backups made with Norton Ghost on a computer that is completely different.