Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Improving the Modeling Tools (Blender vs. SketchUp)

Windows Software

Old 11-05-2010

Improving the Modeling Tools (Blender vs. SketchUp)

Since it seems that 1/2 of my colleagues use SketchUp ( http://www.sketchup.com/ ) to do their 3D appearance at the Architecture School, I resolute to nibble the bullet and observe what the blur was all about.
I have to say I was TOTALLY overwhelmed by how rapid and simple is to model things on that application. I used to maintain that Blender's workflow was quick... I canít say it any longer for the reason that SU bang Blender's speed hands down any known day.
The reality that SkechUp chains N-Gons assist it a lot, seeing as you can presently replica now and worry about cleaning up the net topology later. When bring in into Blender (by first exporting to OBJ), SU models triangulate badly, however which is to be predictable while you import anything with N-Gons
Bottom line is which I will like to see a "modeling mode" alike to what you can do on SU. Sculpt net is a step on the right direction, however now I realize which much more could be made to make Blender even quicker.

Old 11-05-2010

Re: Improving the Modeling Tools (Blender vs. SketchUp)

The truth is that SkechUp assists N-Gons help it a many more, far you can able to only model now and tension regarding cleaning up the net topology later.
I have never attempt to use SkechUp and also don’t need to, so may be I am wrong for n-gons thing you mentioned.

Have you ever used a Wings3d (http://www.wings3d.com/)? Perhaps be this is n-gons modeling and magnet application services are equal to what you like in SkechUp. I throw everything in my modeling process to Wings and leave the rest to Blender.
Old 11-05-2010

Defiantly you have to learn blender. This may take little more time to learn however is so much simpler just the once you do and you can make so much improved things. also you don't require custom surface for it you can utilize resources to shade things every one color or convinced colors. that is the method I use to color my ford f100 I’m working, on also here is a judgment, the dragon was completed in blender. The home was completed in sketchup.
Old 11-05-2010

You can utilize sketchup for the bottom, export as tyrant mesh (workings through the free version), then bring in the .mesh.xml into blender for concluding.

Zmodeler is simpler to learn then Blender, 1.07 is still obtainable for free of charge and it works under Vista. From zmodeler, export as .3ds, import into Blender, turn and smooth the net and then export as ogre mesh.
Old 11-05-2010

I believe that public has elapsed the reason for Sketchup: it was completed to make 3D buildings for Google Earth. So there's no method you could make dragons etc. through Sketchup. It's not reasonable to evaluate Blender and Sketchup, as they are finished for different purposes. I do not have to create dragons for RoR, what I have produced for RoR is lots of landscape objects, ie. Houses, bushes and additional scenery objects.
Old 11-05-2010

Sketchup:
simple to use, very quick, high-quality measuring application, preset of textures (which I wouldn't utilize or at least rename for the reason that of duplicate names)

blender:
tough to learn, however then also good quality to make use of, superior unwrapping and texturing application (you can not texture round exterior in sketchup correctly)
takes additional time, however the result is to a great extent better, it can render nice things
Old 12-05-2010

It will depend, to a substantial degree, what your end objective is. Are your thoughts organic, characters, figures, or mechanical, architectural? For instance, Sketchup can be a blessing if your effort to model tank treads, building or even game stages. However, if your deficient to highlight the wrinkles in your zombie's skin or a delicately detailed monster, Z-brush or a similar digital sculpting wrap up would be the appropriate choice.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , ,