Thread: Has anybody found a solution to max or zbrush obj export?

Has anybody found a solution to max or zbrush obj export?

I have a problem with importing LV1 object from ZBrush and export this model back into ZBrush and go up into divisions. I have gone over countless threads on this same topic, but nobody has an answer that worked. A lot of people have suggested trying every function of max's obj export tool. I have downloaded various other scripts obj imp or export tool. But none of these has solved the problem.

Has anyone succeeded in getting the solution to max or ZBrush obj export?

Re: Has anybody found a solution to max or zbrush obj export?

I am not aware that there is a problem in max-Zbrush pipeline, nor the need for a special exporter. If you are having some trouble, just give some pictures and I may be able to help you in a better way. You must know that if you exported from Zbrush to max and you cut, inset, extrude, anything that will change the Number I mean the “Total Number” or the “Order Number” of each vertices. Then you will lose the Model division in Zbrush and Zbrush will recognize this as a new model.

To resolve your problem try the following steps.
    1. First of all load your Tool “ztl” in Zbrush and that should have some level of Divisions.
    2. After that go Down to the Level one and then export it as obj
    3. Leave the Zbrush opened and on the same level.
    4. Then import in max, and move some vertices or change the object shape without cutting or adding new vertices.
    5. Now in max, select export.
    6. While you are having the same tools and at Lv1 select import and then import the object you have exported from max.

Yes, that workflow has explained is how I worked. The point is that if I do the same and import or export from Maya instead it works.

But I have to use max to transfer the UV's from a duplicate of max, I find that the transfer UV's in Maya does not work at all. But saving UV away from the dual model put them in the original (the one I import back into ZBrush works).

I have also tried Arcanox plug-in but no luck, there is no preset ZBrush would mud box closest any way, I've tried all the presets, but nothing works.

It is still unclear for me! I did not try duplication a model earlier and then export back to Zbrush, so I am unable to tell you about that. I am having difficulty in understanding the need for duplicating the model, if you did a copy and fixed the UV’s on it. Why don’t you throw a UV-unwarp modifier on the duplicate, copy this modifier and then paste on the original one.
    Last edited by ZeDaX; 10-05-2010 at 05:20 PM.

Ok forget duplicate idea that was my last intension. But for now I export from ZBrush (LV1 exports) imports that in 3dmax, immediately exports back to ZBrush and will not allow me to go back up to the level of divisions vertices go anywhere. I do exactly the same process in Maya and it works. I have also checked vertices edges of poly count between Maya and Max, and they are exactly the same.
    I can send a screenshot of what happens in ZBrush after I re-imported if you want.

You can solve your problem by following these simple steps.
    1. First in Zbrush 3 export the lowest res as an object
    2. Then in 3D max import obj file and lay out UV’s
    3. Then in 3D max export geometry as object
    4. After that import object that you have just exported from 3D max
    5. After that again export from 3D as an object file (Remember that you have to export the file two times in 3Dmax)
    6. Now open the file in Zbursh and then export it again, as the object file.
    7. Then open the high resolution model without UV’s and go to the lowest sub division level
    8. And the last step import the object with the UV’s and under the morph target sub menus that is under the tool palette you have just click the button with the name switch.