Thread: Blender (Game Engine) Machinima?

Blender (Game Engine) Machinima?

Is anybody here who has some examples of Machinima created with the Blender Game Engine? I have tried to search for the same but was not able to find anything on an internet and have searched many forums as well, But no luck!!!

Re: Blender (Game Engine) Machinima?

I have searched for one character-based digital puppetry system which would be helpful for using it as a plug in of blender. "Panda Puppet" has been built around Blender and it is a character-based digital puppetry system. It is a lender plug-in which can be used for rigging and performing characters and scenes.

There are two different types of machinima to use with the Blender. One is a kind of puppeteering which uses lot of of the assets that are already out there and another one is about which you are asking here. Which should be having more of a distribution and tool. Even i am in a search of such a tools but have not found anything yet. But anyways, i guess it should be out soon.

I am assuming that you are using Blender 2.41 in which you can select "Record Game Physics to IPO" from the "Game" menu which records an actions of dynamic actors to an IPO. You have to select for an "Actor" and "Dynamic" in your game button window. Then parent your armature to this actor so when you set up your logic bricks for control then it would be applied to this actor too. Then press P from 3D window and then use keyboard to control your character. Locations and rotations would be recorded as an IPO.

I guess you need to use NLA to set the actions up which must be coincide with when and where you would like things to happen. And then you just have to simply render them and then you can enjoy. I have used the same technique to make my character walking around the room. Don't forget to give your materials a texture and then apply the same image used to UV map your characters to this texture.

I have an idea by which you can have full control over your animated character.
    Actually you should use a real puppet and a web cam then by using colour blob and motion tracking the movement of the puppet can be translated into onscreen movement. You may use waldo or datagloves which is most commonly used in robotics and animatronics.

If you have read an original technical documentation of machinima then you must be knowing that it was a distribution tool- back in the day when downloading the dvd quality film was taking more then a whole day. But today its not like that but the definition remains the same. You can imagine downloading a hd or higher quality film which is going to be there for a while.