Thread: Changing the Library icon in Windows 7

Changing the Library icon in Windows 7

Hi everyone here,

I have just upgrade from windows 7, and need to do some operation that I got in the tutorial but unable to get anything through which I can perform that. I want to just Change Library Icon in windows 7. It can be done and if so then please provide me some guide and tutorials about the same, I will be highly thankful to you...

Thank you very much !!!!

There are so many tutorials are provided on the internet as a free distribution also.You can simply get help from them and I don't think, it would be a much harder procedure .. One thing more , it is one of the feature from a lot of features of windows 7 and you can do it very easily from the guides and tutorials..

Customize Library Icons?

Hi guys,

Now every other folder and program in Windows 7 will let you customize its icon. I am thinking about changing or customize the icon of library folder and Why is there no option to customize the libraries? I have different libraries that I have created. But they all have a generic icon for libraries. Does anyone know if there is a way to change this? Anyone has some idea ...!!

Libraries are one of the latest features just combined with the Windows 7 operating system . We have covered a in depth guidelines on how to use and manage libraries. I am going to show you the suggestion with the proper steps in which we will cover with the easy steps to change the default icons of libraries. Libraries are in quick collection of (or a pointer to) directories and files from separate destinations for better file management. You can create your own libraries and suggest the proper location to it. You can also customize the default icon assigned to the libraries.

The final steps for your help would be as follows -

1. First step is to create your own library and add all the index locations. Now navigate to this location, C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries. Change the USERNAME to the actual user name on your PC.

2. In the next step, open notepad and drag and drop the library icon on to notepad. Drag and drop the library for which you want to change the icon.

3. Now, move your step to the folder where you saved the new icons . Just be sure that you use only .ico files, no different format will be compatible. Hold the shift key and right click and select the option “Copy as Path”. Alternatively you can also copy the path of the file from the explorer navigation bar.

4. In the file opened in notepad, paste this line of code, <iconReference>ICON PATH HERE</iconReference>. Replace ICON PATH HERE with the path of the icon file copied. Paste this just below </isLibraryPinned> tag.

5. Save and exit from the file and now you can get the new icon in effect on the library.
    Last edited by Eric B; 08-05-2010 at 04:51 PM.

Change Library Icon in Windows 7

Have you ever needed to swap out the Windows default icons with another method ? The latest Windows 7 library icons can be customized with a hack to a text file, but there’s an simpler method. I am not sure what we are discussing about? Open up Windows Explorer, and check out the Libraries.There are two ways to do it :

1- Easy Way (Using dll file)
    2- Manual way

As you all already have seen the manual way to do in the above posts..

Simple (Easy) way of Changing Library Icon in Windows 7

To change the icons out the simple way, we will use a tiny utility named Library Icon Changer. Just open the tool and Once you have opened up the utility, you will be presented with list of icons and libraries… just click on the Library on the right-hand side, and then select the icon on the left, and click “Select Icon from dll”. You can also use the choose new Icon from file instead, if you don't need to use a default Windows icon.

One thing more is that if you desired to restore the icon to default, you have to click on the Library first on the right-hand side, and then click the Restore default icon button. Another note is that if you need to change out the DLL, you will require to choose it, and then press the Enter key. Once you have swapped out your icon, it usually displays up right away, or you can Refresh with F5 (though logging off or restarting explorer.exe might be needed).