Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

DOCX vs. DOC

Windows Software

Old 04-05-2010

DOCX vs. DOC

Windows 7 Pro 32bit
Office 2007 Pro

I have this document that I created in DOCX. It has several linked Excel (XLSX and XLSM) objects. The majority of the objects are on a network share, while some are on the local C drive.

Opening this file takes several minutes. If however, I save it in DOC format, it opens right away. If I save it back to DOCX, it takes several minutes to open it. If I remove the links in the DOCX, it opens right away. It takes even longer to open the DOCX if I'm not connected to the networks, but the DOC still opens right away.

This seems to be an issue with embedded link files.

So can some explain to me what the heck is going on? What's the difference between the DOCX and the DOC format?

Thanks.

Old 04-05-2010

Re: DOCX vs. DOC

Hey as per information .doc file is the Microsoft Word 2003 file and .docx file is a Microsoft Word 2007 file.
You can get more information at following link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Old 04-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattman View Post
Hey as per information .doc file is the Microsoft Word 2003 file and .docx file is a Microsoft Word 2007 file.
You can get more information at following link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Gee thanks, but THAT is not what I meant.

As stated in my original post, I AM USING OFFICE 2007 which includes Word 2007. I dont need the compatibility pack. Besides, how would I be working with DOCX without either.
Old 04-05-2010

When the file is saved in the DOC format, the file is actually saved in the older, that is Word 2003 format. But, DOCX is the new format that is available in Word 2007. When you save the file normally in Work 2007, the DOCX format is selected automatically. You will have to select DOC format manually. Also, the DOCX format takes some more time to save. This is a genuine problem being faced. So, no need to worry about that. You can also see that the files saved in DOCX format have comparatively larger size than the ones saved in the DOC format.
Old 05-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.D View Post
When the file is saved in the DOC format, the file is actually saved in the older, that is Word 2003 format. But, DOCX is the new format that is available in Word 2007. When you save the file normally in Work 2007, the DOCX format is selected automatically. You will have to select DOC format manually. Also, the DOCX format takes some more time to save. This is a genuine problem being faced. So, no need to worry about that. You can also see that the files saved in DOCX format have comparatively larger size than the ones saved in the DOC format.
Thanks but nothing new here. I've even got my word 2007 setup to use DOC by default and not DOCX.

I wanted to know what the differences are between the 2 formats that would explain why in DOCX, the file takes upwards of 5 minutes to open, but the same file in DOC format takes less than 2-3 seconds to open.
Old 05-05-2010

Hello there, when too mush of processes are running in the system, then many a times the docx files takes time to open. Well, I am not having any issues like the one you are facing. The doc as well as docx opens properly without any issues. It seems that some processes in the background are causing the docx files in your system to open slowly.
Old 05-05-2010

DOCX vs. DOC

According to me, A .docx extension is a file commonly saved by Microsoft Word in XML format. It is not supported with non-XML versions of Word (older than 2007) although I believe Microsoft provides a plugin for previous versions that facilitates you to read XML documents with earlier versions of Word.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , ,