Thread: File or folder is corrupt and unreadable

File or folder is corrupt and unreadable

Hi all,

I have a computer which is running on windows XP. I will adding a new user as admin Management Members of group to the user admin login group. I backup form C: \ Documents and Settings \ Administrator under the useful document, and then my computer - properties - delete administrator user profile file will be C: \ Documents and Settings \ Administrator directory to delete. unfortunately it File or folder can corrupt and unreadable. How to recover that or resolve. Please suggest. Thanks in advance.

Re: File or folder is corrupt and unreadable

I think your User profile is damaged, may be the issue. When this occurs, Windows may create a new profile for you to use, but the new configuration file does not reflect the use of the damaged profile "My Documents" folder. Windows in the C: \ Documents and Settings \New User Folder, create a new profile, which new User Is the current name of Windows for the configuration file. All the best.

Check the steps:
    # Find your document, and then back up. Your document in C: \ Documents and Settings \Old user name\ My Documents folder.
    # Find your favorites and will back it up. Your stored in C: \ Documents and Settings \Old user name\ Favorites folder.
    # Click the "Start", point to "All Programs", point to "Accessories", point to "System Tools", then click "System Restore."
    # In the "Welcome to System Restore" dialog box, click "Next."
    # In the "Select a Restore Point" dialog box, select a date on the calendar, then select a restore point to restore the computer to its previous state.
    # In the "Confirm Restore Point Selection" dialog box, confirm the selected restore point or restore. Confirm the selection, will start the restore process, restart the computer and prompt you to log on.
    # Log on to the common user profile, and then confirm that the computer has been restored correctly. If your computer has been restored correctly, do not complete the remaining steps. If the computer is not properly restored, the next step.
    # Log off the computer, then use the Administrator account or an account that has administrative privileges log on the computer.

You can also follow the steps:
    • Click the "Start", then click "Control Panel."
    • Click "Performance and Maintenance", click "Administrative Tools", then double-click "Computer Management."
    • Right-click the damaged user account, and then click "Remove."
    • In the "Actions" menu, click "New User."
    • In the dialog box, type the appropriate information, then click the following check boxes to select or clear:
    • User must change password at next logon
    • Users can not change password
    • Password never expires
    • Account disabled
    • Click the "Create", then click "Close."

First of all, look at the registry has not been blocked, if blocked, run gpedit.msc group policy to save the registry to use. Start - Run-gpedit.msc-Expand "User Configuration < Administrative Templates < System" double-click the right window "to prevent access to registry editing tools" in the pop-up window, select "Disabled", "OK" then exit the "Group Policy" - to save the registry successful. Start - run-regedit after the HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer right window thereNo FolderOptions the key, if the value to 0 replace with one.

File or folder is corrupt and unreadable

A supported hotfix is offered from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is proposed to correct only the problematic that is described in your question. . Apply this hotfix only to systems that are suffering this specific problem. This hotfix capacity receives other testing. Therefore, if you are not cruelly affected by this problem, we recommend that you gap for the next software update that contains this hotfix. All the best.

I think Chkdsk is the best option for you. You detects problems with the file system and attempts to repair the damage, data loss can happen. Microsoft does not suggest running Chkdsk with the /f command-line switch if not you have a full backup of your hard disk. Effort to repair the damaged file, folder or file system index using Chkdsk. To do so, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type chkdsk /f <drive>:, where <drive> is the letter of the drive on which the damaged file, folder or file system index exists.
    3. Click OK.