Thread: Sql server not on App-V Management Server

Sql server not on App-V Management Server

Hello,
    I am confused if to run the SQL server on the App-V Management server or not. I have no idea about it, but I have heard that Microsoft does not support it officially. App-V supports many of the version of the SQL, but I have heard that these are not stable on App-V Management system. So, guys I need some help on this. Any clarification on this is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Sql server not on App-V Management Server

Hello,
    I agree what you have said about Microsoft, that it does not support official the App-V management server for SQL server. So, it is a good idea not to use the SQL server with App-V management server, but I think many people use this without any problems. I think the main issue is the dependencies of the application, if you need to run the App-V management server with SQL server then by my knowledge there are many dependencies that you need to install first.

Hello,
    So, if you have decided to install the SQL server on the other box, then this will all be confusing for you. Because you will have install the App-V management server on one machine and on the other the SQL server. So, this will be very hard to manage both the software. Also, if you have installed both the application on different machines then the configuration will take a lot of time and also will be more hectic.

Hello,
    If I would be in your place then I would install the app-v and the sql server both on a single machine, as it would save a lot of my time. If you do this then it is very easy to setup the server and you can do this quickly, without any problems. About the dependencies, if you have the internet connection then all the dependencies are downloaded automatically. So, I think you should atleast try once to do it.

Hello,
    Even i think that using SQL server with the app-v management server should not give any problems as many people use it. If you are installing both the software together, that is the SQL server on the App-V management server, then do not forget to check the App-V management server are each time the software is rebooted. I think you will also have to create the service dependency, but this should not be the problem, as it is easy.