Thread: Has Winamp been ported to Linux

Has Winamp been ported to Linux

Every windows and Linux people must agree that 'Winamp' for windows is a killer application. The main part of this software is that It's like contains the ability of the program to act like a radio tuner for online internet radio streams.

My question is has this amazing program yet been ported to Linux? If so, where can I download a copy please?

Thanks

Firstly, I must agree that Winamp kicks superior butt. Nullsoft has ported WinAmp to Linux, however,it is still in the alpha phase. The software can be downloaded from the internet with free of charges.

One more video software named as Xmms is a winamp clone in almost all aspects. Want the gtk2.0 version, use beep media player. Both of them do shout cast well, and the streaming of internet radio always going on same way as another.

I am also excited to know about why Winamp is such a killer application . A number of users seem to like winamp and I really don't get it. I don't think it's that bad, just not better than the others.

In Windows,Number of users like to use iTunes for added facility of user interface and DAAP support, but it's type of bloated and consumes a long time to startup, which usually means I end up playing music in Media Player Classic over a SAMBA share. I am also a user of java applet when I require DAAP. It's not the discussion about the Windows and their components , so what is the best player for Linux? (I realize the question is subjective, I just want peoples opinions in order to make my own).

Winamp is treated as the killer Windows jukebox application and the tool that entire cool dudes must have, primarily as it supports skinning and was one of the first applications to do so. It's some of the few Windows apps that will natively play .ogg AFAIK. I am aware about Media Player Classic as well, and that is one of the application that requires to be ported to Linux ASAP.

For a long time, I was a MusicMatch devotee until that became bloatware. after then I moved to Winamp. Sure, it won't rip without paying for the pro version but who cares? That's what Audiograbber is for

Dr. V Guest

I love Winamp very much but never used it before till I met it's clone xmms as I didn't know what winamp was. If you would like the properties that winamp currently provides here is what I use as its normal replacement:

xmms (ofcourse)
    winamp classic skins (they will function as xmms skins as they are just renamed zips
    streamtuner this will update the entire indexes of shoutcast and a some few others it also provides category browsing afraid i have yet to get one that tapps into the video network winamp supplies if you desire to generate xmms supply the currently playing track from the stream move into the properties through rightclick or pressing ctrl+P => "Audio I/O Plugins"=>Input Plugins=>"MPEG Layer 1/2/3 Player <version number> [libbaje123.so]" highlight that and select configure=>streaming And it is under the heading SHOUT/Icecast

if you requires the track information to be sent to different program for whatever causes I suggested "xmms-announcer" I use it with mercury messenger for MSN.