Thread: Convert VMWare image to Hyper-V images

Convert VMWare image to Hyper-V images

Hi everybody,
    I have computer which runs on Windows XP and i am using it as Virtual machine. So it seems that now the Hyper-V can be work for us, so i have several VMware images and i wanted to convert it to the Hyper-V images. I wanted to know that is it possible to convert vmware images to the hyper-v images on the virtual machine. If it is possible then please provide me the information.

Re: Convert VMWare image to Hyper-V images

The Microsoft's System Center Virtual Machine Manager it provides the ability by which you can convert the VMware virtual machines image to the VHD format. The SCVMM only works with the Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1, but VHD format which is common between the Virtual Server and Hyper-V. So after using SCVMM for the convertion, you are allowed to load the virtual machine into the Virtual Server and also you can remove the VM additions. After that you can move VHD file to the Hyper-V.

The "Vmdk2Vhd" is a simple utility that is used to convert the virtual hard drive images from the VMWare's VMDK format to the Microsoft's VHD format. This is a copy operation of sector by sector from one of the format to the other and the source file remains unaltered. So i think it will help you to convert the vmware image to the hyper-v images on the virtual machine. Hope this helps you out.

Please follow the steps to convert:
    1) First you need to uninstall the VM tools from your VM
    2) Then shutdown the VM
    3) After that add a new IDE disk drive to your VM.
    4) You need to boot up your virtual machine with both of the drives that is connected and check that it detects your new IDE drive. You can see the new drive as "not initialized" in Disk Management.
    5) Then power off the virtual machine and remove the newly created IDE disk from the VM. Do not power on VMware Machine again.
    6) Now you need to convert your VMDK file to VHD format by using the newest Vmdk2Vhd utility.
    7) After that you can now uninstall the VMware Server and then install Hyper-V + on the current Windows Updates on your host server
    8) Then create a new Virtual Machine in the Hyper-V.
    9) On the Power and Install the “Integration Services” and reboot when prompted
    10) Assign the original IP address to the new network card.
    11) Then you can check the device manager
    12) Then reboot
    13) After that check all your applications and services are running
    14) Finally done.

The VMware can also boot from the SCSI and the Hyper-V which can only boot from the IDE. Hyper-V supports the SCSI disks as the extra disks. If you have a VMware vm with the multiple SCSI disks, only the boot disk that has to be converted into IDE. The rest of them can be left as the SCSI. So i think you have got the point and i hope you work on it. This is the baic idea for converting.

First of all you need to export the VMware to the VM and also to the OVF appliance. Then you need to use the Citrix Kensho by which you can import the OVF Appliance to a Hyper-V host. Also you need to check the OS Fix-up option which can handle the SCSI to the IDE device problems. You can try this fix and see if you are able to convert the vmware images to the hyper-v images on your virtual machine.