Thread: Explorer Locks "thumbs.db" in most recently viewed folder in windows 7

Explorer Locks "thumbs.db" in most recently viewed folder in windows 7

Yesterday while i was browsing a folder on my network i faced a critical problem when i tried to delete the folder from the network it resulted in to an error which states that The action can't be completed because the file is open in Windows Explorer. Close the file and try again. thumb.db . I do not know how but thumbs.db is locking the file Guide me regarding this matter.

Re: Explorer Locks "thumbs.db" in most recently viewed folder in windows 7

In this situation you could not get rid of this problem and hence i think you can only get rid of this error by simply turning of the display of thumbnails on the network feature from the Group policy . After you disable this the thumbs.db file will disappear from the network folder itself. Hope that this will solve your problem.

To get rid of this error try the steps which i have mentioned below :

1. Open the start mennu and type "gpedit.msc" in the search box without the double quotes.
    2. Then go Local Computer Policy/User Configuration/Windows Components/Windows Explorer
    3. Here you should Set "Turn off the display of thumbnails and only display icons on network folders" to Enable.

Thanks for the reply but the solution which you provided above seems not working for me. So i would request you to provide me another solution to solve this problem. Because the above solution has not helped me at all since thumbs.db is locked still and i can't delete the folder . Please help me as soon as possible.

You can solve this error you only have to uncheck the box which says ''Always display icons, never thumbnails'' for that follow the steps which are mentioned below:
    • Open windows Explorer and hold Alt Button and press F on the keyboard
    • Select Tools and click folder options open view tabs now.
    • Tick on the checkbox that says "Always show icons, never thumbnails".

As far as i know this is a major bug. Also Microsoft has not got any solution for this bug yet. But i think that they are working on it yet and will get a solution in future in the form of an update or service pack. Hope the above solution will minimize the effect of these bugs on your system. Hope this was helpful.