Thread: Multiple Windows Media player 11 installations

Multiple Windows Media player 11 installations

Hello people, I have a desktop computer on which I installed Windows Xp Service pack 3 operating system on it. After installation of the operating system, I installed all the drivers for the peripherals and then started the Windows update procedure. After Windows update procedure, I noticed that there are more than one Windows media player 11 installation on the computer. During the Windows update procedure, both the installations of Windows media player have been updated and hence I dont know which of the two installations to be removed. Therefore if anybody else is facing similar problems with multiple windows media player 11 installations then kindly guide me in solving the issue.

Re: Multiple Windows Media player 11 installations

As you there are two installations of Windows media player installed on the computer and both are up to date, there is no harm in removing any of the installed application. To remove one of the installed application on the computer, login to as the administrator and click on Start menu. Go to control panel. Open the Add/remove programs and let the list of installed applications populate. Select one of the installations of the Windows media player 11 and the click on uninstall. Let the procedure complete. Reboot the system and see if one of the installations of the application are removed or not.

Any Windows media player application which is available is a single instance application which means that the application cannot be installed twice to a machine. Therefore the situation which you are talking about is not possible. No matter how many times the installation of the Windows media player is carried out, only one installation of the Windows media player would be visible on the computer. Therefore I would suggest that, you check the second application which is installed on the computer as two installations of Windows media player 11 is not possible on the same system.

Click on Start menu and select Control panel. Go to add/remove programs and then check for all the applications which are installed on the computer. From the list which is populated, select the Windows media format runtime 11 from the list. Now click on Remove/uninstall and let the procedure complete. Once the Windows media format runtime 11 is removed from the computer, only one installation of Windows media player would be visible on the computer.

Thanks for replying to the post really fast. Yes there was Windows media format runtime 11 which was installed on the computer and was responsible for showing two installations of Windows media player 11. After removing the application, now only one installation of Window media player 11 is visible on the computer. Now the Windows media player is working find on the computer but it does not play the .flv files which I require for the project. Is there any way in which .flv files can be played using the Windows media player?

You will have to download the special codec for the Windows media player to play .flv files on the computer. There is codec name FFDshow which has to be installed on the windows media player so that the .flv files are played using the Windows media player. But sometimes this codec creates problem with normal working of the Windows media player and hence using some other application to play .flv file will be a better options. There are lot of applications which support .flv format. FLV player is one of the player that can be used for playing flv files.