Thread: Unable to install Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 7 Ultimate N x64

Unable to install Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 7 Ultimate N x64

Hello there, I am facing some issues while installing Windows media player on the computer. I have installed Windows 7 ultimate N x64 operating system on my computer. The problem is whenever I try to install Windows media player 12 on my system, the installation completes and system reboots but after rebooting, the system displays that the updates are being configured and installed on the computer and the updating process stops at 15% and gives an error message saying update procedure failed. Then the system rolls back the installation. I cant figure what is causing such problem and therefore need your help in solving the issue. So if anybody else is Unable to install Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 7 Ultimate N x64 then please share some information about the issue. Any suggestions about the issue are more than welcome.

Re: Unable to install Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 7 Ultimate N x64

Are there any security software's installed on the computer? Security softwares when installed on the computer can create problems like the one which you are facing. All the security softwares work on the basic principle of blocking all the unknown traffic originating or terminating on the computer. Due to this tendency of blocking the unknown traffic, manytimes the traffic desired by the user is also blocked which creates problems. Therefore if there are any security softwares installed on the computer, then disable them and then try to update the Windows media player on the computer as there is a high possibility that the security software is blocking the update process.

I was also facing the same problem while updating Windows media player which was installed on the computer. The update procedure used to stop while in between and Update process failed message used to flash. To solve the problem, I visited the official Microsoft support website and tried the solution suggested by them which worked for me. To update the Windows media player installation on your computer, boot the system in safe mode and then start the update procedure of Windows media player. The update procedure will be completed without any problems in the safe mode. After updating is complete, boot the system in the normal mode.

There must be something wrong with the Windows operating system which is installed on the computer. The proper working of the operating system depends on lot of files which are associated to it. If any of the files which is associated to the operating system is corrupt or missing on the computer then the operating system will not work properly. Therefore if you have the installation disk of the version of the operating system which you are using, insert it in the drive and boot the system from the disk. When the installer loads, select the option which says "Repair the current Windows installation" and let the procedure complete. After the repair procedure is complete, check if th media player can be updated or not.

The update procedure must be failing because the process which you are trying to update is accessed by some other process. There must be some application running on the computer which is accessing the media player when the system is booting and hence the update process is failing. I would suggest that you boot the computer and disable all the third party applications which are installed on the computer. After disabling all the third party applications at the startup, start the update procedure and then see if the procedure gets completed.