Thread: Windows Media Player 12 displays Other Media File error for some songs

Windows Media Player 12 displays Other Media File error for some songs

Recently I upgraded the operating system on my computer from Windows Vista to Windows 7 home premium. After installation of the operating system I am facing some problems while adding some files to Windows Media player 12. When all the songs are added to the Windows media player 12 library, most of the songs go to the folder named "Other media". I am not able to move these files to their respective albums. Some files from these folders play fine but sometimes Windows Media Player 12 displays Other Media File error for some songs. I cant figure out why I am facing such problem and hence need your help in solving the issue. Any suggestions about the topic are more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re: Windows Media Player 12 displays Other Media File error for some songs

Check the format of the files which are added to the other media files folder. There are many media formats which are not supported by the Windows media player 12. If the file which is not supported by the media player is played on the system then the file will not be played and an error saying "unsupported file format" will be displayed. Hence check the format of the files which are added to the other media folder and see if the Windows media player supports the file format or not. If the files are not supported, then use some other application to play the files.

I think there is some problem with the Windows media player which is installed on your system. The applications which are installed on the computer have lot of files associated to it. If any of the files which is associated to the application is corrupt or missing on the system, then the application will not work properly. The only solution to such problem is to replace the files which are corrupt or missing on the system. After replacing all the files which are corrupt or missing on the system, check the performance of the application.

The Windows media player which you are using must not be having the Codecs which are required to play the files. As the codecs are missing, the media player will not be able to play the files and is hence giving the unsupported files error. There is a K-lite codec pack available online which can be installed on the Windows media player. Download the K-lite codec pack and install it on the computer. After installing the codec pack, you will not face the same problem again.

If the files which you are trying to play using the Windows media player 12 is of .mp4 or .flv format, then you will have to edit the Windows registry for that. Follow the steps below to edit the Windows registry and then see if the Windows media player is able to play the files. Becareful while editing the system registry as wrong editing of the registry will lead to system failure.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.flv]
    "PerceivedType"="video"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.flv]
    "PerceivedType"="video"
    "Permissions"=dword:0000000f
    "Runtime"=dword:00000007
    "UserApprovedOwning"="yes"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\MLS]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\MLS\Extensions]
    "flv"="video"
    Once the registry is edited, save the registry and reboot the computer. Open the Windows media player and include the folder which has the files to be played.

Thanks for replying to the post really fast. The files which I was trying to play were of .flv format and for that I edited the Windows registry as suggested by you and added the folder to Windows media player library. All the files were visible but not playable. However I downloaded the correct codec which is required by the Windows media player to play .flv file and now all the files on the computer are working.

Now that you've found the right codec, please share with us here how you solved the problems. I'm having the same problem here, please reply. have downloaded n installed all many kind FLV codec i found on net, still not working.
    thanks,
    Ben

This is due to improper codecs. Try VLC media player first in your system. If that works well with the songs in which you find error in Windows Media player then you might need to run some updates for Windows Media player. The other way is removing the old codecs and installing K-Lite Codec pack. This is a full pack for codec and suitable for Windows.