Thread: Gnat dependencies under Debian

Gnat dependencies under Debian

Hello,
    I was updating the GCC for my Debian operating system, but was surprised to see that it is asking of the dependencies for the Gnat. If you look closely, is there not something that surprised you? gcc is not in the dependencies! Gnat Debian is autonomous? This product itself assembles files? In Windows, my Gnat depends on GCC. It is a mistake or Gnat 3.15p Debian does not really depends on GCC and can function without him? I am confused with this, if you have any idea about it then please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Re: Gnat dependencies under Debian

Hello,
    Appears it depends on binutils which depends on the libraries of gcc. So I suppose it is even necessary to be installed along with the Gnat and the GCC compilers collections. Do not know why really it is asking for an dependency, but surely if you think it as a complete compiler collection that is the GCC then it should not ask for any dependency. I think this problem is rare, I think only few people are facing this problem.

Hello,
    I think that the reason for this is that the version is "public" (i.e - The Public version of GNAT, industrial-strength quality but unsupported.) And not the gnu version. So this version is a statically compiled with gcc-libs inside actually. One must look at the list of files which are included in this package and see if they require some of the dependencies for it. For the GNU version I think you can check the dependencies on their official site, rather on the Debian official site you can find all the packages and the list of dependencies.

Hello,
    In bookstores, there is a dependence: dependence bookstores of gcc, i.e the libc and co. but not gcc (the libs do not depend on gcc). There is also a dependence Ada runtime. But what surprises me is that thought Gnat used gcc to compile. I thought (I do not know almost all of gcc) That produced a Gnat Code C or intermediate byte-code which was compiled by gcc.

Hello,
    I did not know it was distinguished at this point for dependencies. Then the coup, if you also want to install gcc, perhaps there is a saving of up to install the GNU Gnat rather than the Gnat public. I do not know or I do not understand, maybe Gnat compiles all alone without the help of gcc, and it requires only ld and libc, binutils is for the linker and other utilities, not for gcc.