Thread: Advantages of Migrating from Microsoft Access to MySQL

Advantages of Migrating from Microsoft Access to MySQL

Hello friends,
    I am told to migrate from the Microsoft Access to MySQL. Since, I don't know much about the MySQL, I am confused that why am I told to migrate from Access to MySQL. Obviously, there should be some advantage for doing this, but I am not having any idea about it. So please tell me what are an advantages of Migrating from Microsoft Access to MySQL? Hoping that someone would reply me soon.!!
    "Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do". - Voltaire

Re: Advantages of Migrating from Microsoft Access to MySQL

The first question is what you really need to migrate to MySQL? Using the MySQL server as a storage place for data from Microsoft Access offers several advantages: high performance, cross-platform, multiple users access, strong security system and more. So if you build a complex multi-user system, you definitely need to migrate data from Access to MySQL. Migrating depends on you, I think that provided hints would help you to decide about the migrating.
    Dimension 1100 (FMY032J) mini-tower
    2.53ghz Intel Pentium 4
    80 gig nfts HDD
    512 RAM
    Main circuit board: Dell 0CF458
    BIOS: Dell A00
    Display: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adaptor]
    Multimedia: Sound MAX Integrated Digital Audio
    Windows XP Home SP2

It is the standard way to migrate Microsoft Access database to a MySQL server. MS Access can export tables to a variety of formats, including ODBC. With this function you can export an Access table to MySQL via ODBC Connector / ODBC drivers provided by MySQL AB. To migrate from MS Access table to the right of the MySQL server, click the table and select "Export" option. After several steps your data will be exported to MySQL. So, it would be better to migrating from Microsoft Access to MySQL.

If your MS Access database is small and does not have a complex structure, then migrating from Microsoft Access to MySQL is sufficient. Otherwise, be aware that access will not export index information with data. You will need to build indexes of the tables manually after exporting. There are also some differences in the types of data between Microsoft Access and MySQL. An example would be the currency of data: MySQL does not have a currency of data, however, creates a column with the definition DECIMAL (19,4) for the same purpose. While MS Access supports Unicode by default, MySQL has character to bind less well defined field types. Instead, allow each text field to bind to any number of character sets, including Unicode. Once again, you must manually specify if you need Unicode support in the resulting MySQL database.

Another approach to the problem of migration is to use third-party applications that can handle for you. The world leader in data processing field, developed Intelligent Converters Access to MySQL converter in order to provide users with an accurate solution, quickly and easily that the conversion task. So you can also prefer to the converters that are available on the Internet.

MySQL offers access to sufficient capacity to migrate very large and complex MS Access databases. At the same time, the results are accurate migrated because the program requires the transformation of data, supports all types of MS Access and attributes, converts all the indexes (including the relationships between tables), deals with multibyte character sets and more. If you need more control over migration, or simply do not have direct access to the destination server access-to-MySQL. MySQL can export data in MySQL dump file.