Thread: Rundll32.exe problems please help!!

Rundll32.exe problems please help!!

Hey guys i just recently had a virus and after i deleted it, no applications will open. when i try to open a program, a message saying "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe .... Application not found". i dont have my XP disk and when i go to system restore, an "open with" box comes up. im not very tech savvy, so if someone could help me out itd be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!!

Re: Rundll32.exe problems please help!!

Hello,
    The Rundll32.exe is one of the most important process of the operating system. This process is important because all the dll files are executed by this process and it also inserts then into the system memory of your computer. If unfortunaltey you loose this file you computer might be slow or unstable. One vital note is that, this process is in your C:\windows\system32 location. Now, if this process is executed from any other location than the one mentioned above, your computer is infected by a virus or a trojan. If you need to fix the rundll32.exe file, then you first have to locate it on your computer. If you find the file then copy it back to its original location that is "C:\windows\system32 location". In case if you do not find the file on your computer, then you can copy it from the Windows Installation disk. Just copy the file to its original location the then restart the computer. Warning: After restarting the computer do not forget to scan your computer.

well the file IS there, but that message comes up every time i try to open a control panel icon. also, when i try to install a program, the "open with" box comes up, rather than starting setup

The file which you have mentioned is corrupted by some virus and hence the system is not able to access the file. Scan the system with an updated antivirus and check for all the files which are infected. Try and repair the files and see if the situation improves. Do not delete any infected files as it may lead to system failure.