Thread: How to Configure Office to run server-side?

How to Configure Office to run server-side?

Hello friends,
    I am recently studying about the server-side, so I am not having much idea about it. Also I am using the Microsoft Office 2007. Now I want to configure that MS Office in such a way that it can run on the server-side. I have searched on the web, but I didn't find any appropriate solutions, so thought to take help from you guys.!! Please explain me how to configure Office to run server-side? Hope that you will reply soon.

Re: How to Configure Office to run server-side?

If no other solution and that should you decide to automate Office server-side, you need to solve many of the problems. Most problems are related to configuration, it is impossible to provide a set of procedures that enable the automation of Office to run server-side in all situations and on all systems. Some configuration settings may conflict with other options and each approach has advantages and disadvantages. You may need to experiment to find the configuration best suited to your environment.

To automate Office from a server-side code, you generally proceed as follows :
    • Designing your project to isolate and encapsulate Office.
    • Encode your project to anticipate problems and solve them proactively.
    • Assign your project an identity and a user profile specific for Office.

Hope that you will get some idea from this.

The design of your project must take into account the problems of server-side security and non-reentrancy Office products when you try to run the automation of Office. Limit the use of Office to a specific instance, controlled by an object serialization, or group a set of instances closely controlled from a custom object manager can create application objects if necessary, but controlling aspects of the process that require serialization. Board may adopt a number of states. Therefore, simultaneous execution of certain operations. By multiple clients may cause conflicts and possibly block one or more threads callers by displaying an error message that prompts the user to provide information or refusing to release a comprehensive resource used by all instances.

The first step is to limit the use of Office Automation in your server-side design and isolate the process on a computer does not contain any vital data and can be restarted if necessary. Insulate also calling context, so that blocking a calling client does not weaken the performance of an essential service system. For example, do not automation directly from Internet Information Services (IIS) using a system thread; rather isolate the code to run on its own thread. Thus, in case of failure, it does not affect the overall functionality of Internet services. Also, consider how your design implements security and authentication. Because Office does not provide server-side security, your code must ensure that only code modules "approved" such as ASP pages, script files etc.. can create an instance of automating an Office application and call its methods. The code must also ensure that all documents are safe before you ask to open the office.

When the design is in place, you must create codes defensive attempt to prevent the onset of problems and handle errors when they arise. Make sure your code passes values for optional parameters, because of missing or conflicting values can sometimes require Office to request the user to provide further information. Use error trapping to treat progressive abnormalities and record them using a code of logging can be enabled or disabled by a custom setting. If you run an action that could cause the display of a dialog error independent of Office, be prepared to handle possible obstacles by using a timeout or a second thread to monitor progress.