Thread: A corrupt global template causes errors when automating Word 2007.

A corrupt global template causes errors when automating Word 2007.

Hi friends,
    I have created a global template and now I think that it is corrupted. Due to which it is causing much issue with the MS Word 2007 also. I have installed Microsoft Office 2007 in my system. After creating that template I am not able to automate the Word 2007. When I try that, errors get displayed. So please tell me solution for a corrupt global template which is causing errors when automating Word 2007. Hope that someone had understood my point and will help me soon.!

Re: A corrupt global template causes errors when automating Word 2007.

I think that you should first know the basic concepts of the global template. Then you will understand the issue that is causing an error. The global template file used by Word can be damaged. In Microsoft Office Word 2007 global template is named Normal.dot. In Microsoft Office Word 2003 and in earlier versions of Word, the global template is named Normal.dot. If you encounter any errors described in the Summary section, you can temporarily rename the Normal.dot global template to determine if it is causing the problem.
    Dimension 1100 (FMY032J) mini-tower
    2.53ghz Intel Pentium 4
    80 gig nfts HDD
    512 RAM
    Main circuit board: Dell 0CF458
    BIOS: Dell A00
    Display: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adaptor]
    Multimedia: Sound MAX Integrated Digital Audio
    Windows XP Home SP2

Another option for you is renaming. Because after renaming the global template that you have created will restore the setting which is default of the several options, in which custom styles, custom toolbars, macros, and AutoText entries are included. So, I would recommend you to rename he global template file rather than deleting it, so you can restore these settings if the model is not damaged.

It is also possible that some certain installations of Word may create multiple files global model valid. Such things very rarely happens but you can't ignore the possibility of this happening. This is particularly true when multiple versions of Word running on the same computer. It can also true when there are many user profiles sharing the same files on the same computer. In these situations, make sure you rename the correct copy of Normal.dot. Otherwise the problem will persist, if you change the other copy of the Normal.dot.
    QTechnology Ultra-Quiet ATX PSU 460W I MSI K8N Neo4-F I AMD Opteron 144 CABNE0545 2.66Ghz I 2 x 512MB RAM I 380GB Maxtor SATAI Raid0 Hard Drive I 40GB Maxtor IDE Hard Drive I Nvidia GeForce 7900GTX I Win XP Home Service Pack 2 I Soundblaster Xtreme Fidelity Fatal1ty I Mercury Home Theater HT-4500

To rename the global template file, follow these steps :
    1. Quit all instances of Word.
    2. Click on the Start option, click Search, then Files or Folders.
    3. In the Name box, type the name of the global template for your version of Word.
    4. In the Look In box, select your local hard drive (or another user template location if you are running Word from a network server).
    5. Click Search to locate the file.
    6. For each occurrence of global template that appears in the Find dialog box, click the right mouse button on the file and then click Rename. Add a new file name, such as OldNormal.dot or Normal-1.dot.
    7. Reduce the Find dialog box.
    8. Restart your automation client to start Word.

If Word starts correctly, the problem is solved. In this case, a corrupt global template is causing the problem. You may need to change a few settings to restore your favorite options. If the global template file that you renamed contains customizations, such as styles, macros, or AutoText entries that can not be easily recreated, you may be able to copy those customizations from the old model in the global file again using the Organizer. If the customizations were made on one of the built-in toolbars of Word, you may need to recreate them after you rename your template because you can not copy those changes using the Organizer.