Thread: How to create a custom template for Visio?

How to create a custom template for Visio?

Hi friends,
    I have recently started with the Visio application, so I am not having much knowledge about it. I have just done some basic things that are required to open the Visio and then do something. Now I want to create a template that should be customized by me. I know about the normal template but not having idea about a custom template. So thought that there should be someone hanging out there who can help me.!! Please tell me how to create a custom template for Visio? Provide some useful information as soon as possible.

Re: How to create a custom template for Visio?

If you want to create multiple drawing files with a consistent look, a practical method is to define a basic model for all drawings. By creating your own style, you can save yourself the trouble of opening the appropriate stencils, create styles and set page settings for each drawing file because everything is defined by default in the same model. I think that once you start working with the Visio you will find easy to use it.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signatureto help him gain world domination

If your design requires a custom setting of the following settings, set the appropriate parameters in a model :
    • size or scale of the page
    • size or window position
    • styles or text form
    • color palette
    • Anchoring and coupling
    • Print

Even I would like to suggest that you should start doing the work yourself. If you are not able to do it then you can go for the help. You can also get the help from the application itself. Because many times it happens that you can do the specific task without any help. I would like to suggest you to increase your productivity. If your designs use repeatedly background or set of standard layers (eg your company logo), create a template containing layers.
    Just a reply to say thank you for these links and posts I have a lot to read and learn now!

To create a template from a drawing file or an existing template, follow these steps :
    1. Open the drawing, or create a new drawing based on the model you want to change.
    2. Open additional stencils to register with the model.
    3. Modify settings and page styles to be applied to designs based on this model.
    4. In the File menu, click Save As.
    5. In the Type list, click Template (*. vst).
    6. In the File Name box name the model.
    7. Click on the arrow next to the Save button, and make sure that Workspace is selected.
    8. In the Save In list, select the folder where you want to save the template.
    9. Click Save.

I would like to inform you that if you want the template to appear in the list that Visio displays when you click New on the File menu, then you will have to save the template in the Solutions folder or one of its subfolders. If you want a page background displaying your company logo or a title block that contains fields such as date of creation of the design, then I would suggest to create these items and assign them to the foreground page.