Thread: How to enable right-to-left language support for Word 2003?

How to enable right-to-left language support for Word 2003?

Hello friends,
    I want to enable the right-to-left language support for MS Word 2003. I am having MS Office 2003 installed in my system which is having Windows XP as operating system. I want to study about the Arabic, Hebrew, Urdu languages. So I want that the MS Word should support the right-to-left language. Please tell me how to enable right-to-left language support for Word 2003? Any other information about the topic would also be useful.!!

Re: How to enable right-to-left language support for Word 2003?

To type and edit in a language from right to left in Word, you must satisfy the following conditions :
    • Configure Windows to support the language in question.
    • Configure Word so that you can type in that language.

Windows Server 2003, Windows XP and Windows 2000 have built-in support for most languages, including Arabic and Hebrew. To configure the operating system to write in the appropriate language, you must configure the keyboard to type in that language. If the keyboard you want is not listed by default, you may need to install additional files.

If you only want to correct text in different languages, you can install the English version of Microsoft Office and install the proofing tools in Microsoft Office. If you want the multinational features of Office, you must install a localized version of Office or you must install the English version of Office with the Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI). You may prefer to use a localized version of Office if your organization needs completely localized functionality and the additional content included with some fully localized versions. Each localized version includes at least two sets of appropriate proofing tools for languages that are likely to use most often. To expand that support to more than 40 languages, you can add the Proofing Tools for Office to any localized version.
    Just a reply to say thank you for these links and posts I have a lot to read and learn now!

Before you can write in a language other than English, you must configure the keyboard to match the language. For example, lets say that you want to write Arabic characters based on, then you will have to configure the keyboard to map the same way as a localized Arabic keyboard. Hope that you are understanding what I meant to say.!! To do this, follow these steps :
    1. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
    2. In Control Panel, click Regional Options, and language.
    3. Click Add other languages, and then select the Languages tab.
    4. Under Text services and input languages, click Details. Dialog box displays the Text Services and Input Languages.
    5. Under Installed Services, if there is no language to write in, or you see the language you want, but it contains the keyboard, click Add.
    6. In the Input Language list, select the language you want to write. The field Keyboard layout / IME is automatically populated.
    7. Click OK.
    8. Under Installed Services, you will see the selected language with a keyboard installed.
    9. Click OK to close the Text Services and Input Languages dialog and then click OK to close the Regional Settings dialog box and Language.
    Blessings to you

You can add languages by modifying the Regional Options which are present in the Control Panel. To do this, follow these steps for your operating system :
    1. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
    2. In Control Panel, click Regional Options, and language.
    3. Click Add other languages.
    4. On the Languages tab, click to select the check box to install files from right to left languages (including Thai) and complex.
    5. Click Apply.
    6. Click OK.
    7. Restart the computer when prompted. If prompted, click Start, click Close, and then click restart.

To check the spelling and grammar of text in a different language, you must install the appropriate language proofing tools for the language. For this, use one of the following methods :
    1. Insert the Proofing Tools Microsoft Office CD-ROM.
    2. Click Start and then click Run.
    3. In the Open box, type or browse to the following:
      cd drive: \ Ptksetup.exe
    4. where cd is the drive letter that contains the CD-ROM correction tools.
    5. In Review Tools Setup, click Custom for the type of installation you perform.
    6. Select the correct language tools to install and then click Run all from My Computer.
    7. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.