Thread: The Printer settings are ignored while Printing a Word document

The Printer settings are ignored while Printing a Word document

Hi friends,
    I am facing very strange problem while printing the documents that are created in MS Word. Whenever I do some settings in printer that settings get ignored while printing. I have tried to reinstall the application but that doesn't made any difference.!! Please suggest me solution for the Printer settings that are ignored while Printing a Word document.!! Hope that you got my point and will provide useful solutions.!!

Re: The Printer settings are ignored while Printing a Word document

When you print a Microsoft Word document, the printer settings are ignored. Such types of problems are very common. You will have to do some settings to overcome these issues. These printer settings include paper size, page orientation and page margins. You will have to change the properties of the printer driver to specify the paper, the page orientation or page margins. However, when you print a Word document, its paper size, the page orientation or page margins differ from what you specified in the properties of the printer driver.

This problem occurs because the parameters of layout that you specify in your Word document override the settings you specify in the properties of the printer driver. I would like to suggest you that the settings you specified should not override the settings of the printer driver. If you avoid this I am sure that the settings that you are making for the printer will not be ignored thereafter.
    Dimension 1100 (FMY032J) mini-tower
    2.53ghz Intel Pentium 4
    80 gig nfts HDD
    512 RAM
    Main circuit board: Dell 0CF458
    BIOS: Dell A00
    Display: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adaptor]
    Multimedia: Sound MAX Integrated Digital Audio
    Windows XP Home SP2

To avoid this problem, do not specify the paper size, the page orientation or page margins in the printer driver properties. Instead, you can specify these settings in your Word document. If there are multiple sections in your document, you must specify the parameters of each section of the document. You will have to change the settings. If you are using the Microsoft Office Word 2003 and earlier versions of Word, click on the page or section you want to print and then click Page Setup on the File menu. And if you are using the Microsoft Word 2007, click the page or section you want to print and then click the Layout tab. In the Page Setup group, click Page Setup to open the dialog box layout. Hope that it helps.

To specify the settings, follow these steps :
    1. Start Word and open the document you want to change.
    2. Click the Paper tab, you can do that according to the version of MS Office that you are using.
    3. Under Paper, click the paper size you want.
    4. If you want to change the page orientation of the document or its page margins, click the Margins tab.
    5. Select the desired options.
    6. To use the paper size specified in step 4 for only the active section of the document, click Selected text.
    7. Click OK.
    Just a reply to say thank you for these links and posts I have a lot to read and learn now!

In the paper supply, do one of the following :
    • If your printer is able to automatically select the correct paper tray to use, then click on tray by default in the list of first page and then click Default tray in the list of other pages. Default tray is the default setting in both of these lists.
    • If your printer can not automatically select the correct paper tray to use, then according to me you may need to select the paper tray that contains appropriate paper size. To do this, click the appropriate paper tray in the list of first page and in the Other pages list.

For more information on how to print documents from Word, see the following topics in Using Microsoft Word :
    • Printing
    • Margins and layout
    Blessings to you