Thread: Frequently asked questions about Mail Merge in MS Word

Frequently asked questions about Mail Merge in MS Word

Hello everyone,
    I want you to provide me some FAQ's about the Mail Merge, since I might be questioned on it as I told I know much about it. Actually I am having knowledge but I don't have any ideas on the problems that are faced while using the Mail Merge in MS Word. So please provide some useful information of frequently asked questions about Mail Merge in MS Word. Any other information related to the topic would also be grateful.!!
    The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little.
    -Joe Martin

Re: Frequently asked questions about Mail Merge in MS Word

A mail merge is used to create form letters, mailing labels, envelopes, directories, and mass distributions by email and fax. In the merge process using three documents: the main document, the data source and the merged document. You should also know about the main document while creating or opening the Word. In a mail merge operation in Word, the document containing the text and graphics that are the same for each version of the merged document, for example, the return address or salutation in a form letter.

You should have an idea about the opening or creating a data source with individual recipient information. Data source is a file that contains the information to be merged into a document. For example, the list of names and addresses to use in a mail merge. You must connect to the data source before using the information it contains. Then you will have to add or customize merge fields in the main document. Merge field is a placeholder that you insert into the main document. For example, insert the merge field <<City>> to have Word insert a city name, like "Delhi", which is stored in the City data field.

Microsoft Word Mail Merge simplifies through a wizard that guides you through all the steps. If you prefer to work outside the wizard, you can use the Mail Merge toolbar. In any case, the end result is that each row (or record) data source generates a form letter, mailing label, envelope, or directory item individually. You can also use mail merge to create any type of document that maps fields to data, not just mailings or directories. For example, if you have a spreadsheet with your video tape collection, you can use the Labels option to create tags on videotape.

I am providing you some FAQ's with solutions in brief :
    1. Can I use a merge field in the Subject line of my email?
      • No. You can only enter text in the subject line of an email message.
    2. How do I perform a mail merge on envelopes?
      • You must use this feature if you do a mass mailing to multiple recipients and postal want each of you have a personal appearance.
    3. How do I merge to labels?
      • You must use this feature when you want to print information on labels, such as mailing addresses for letters or postcards.

I am providing you some more FAQ's that are normally asked to the people :
    1. With the number of data records I have, should have more than one page of labels. Why do I only see one page of labels on the screen when I preview my combination?
      • The preview feature Merge Wizard is designed to display only one page. To view all labels and make needed changes before printing
    2. How do I use mail merge to create a directory or catalog?
      • You must use this feature when you want to print a list, like a telephone directory or a list of items on the same page.
    3. Why Merge to fax is not an available option for a mail merge?
      • These programs were installed with Microsoft Windows 95 or as a separate component of retail versions of Microsoft Windows 98 and Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition. However, Microsoft Outlook 2002 messaging program from Microsoft Office XP, does not support Microsoft Fax.