Thread: Office Update offers Updates for uninstalled Office programs

Office Update offers Updates for uninstalled Office programs

Hi friends,
    I have installed MS Office 2003 in my system. I am getting the pop ups for an update for the programs that I have not installed. I don't know why this is happening but that pops up every time. I am fed up with these messages. I have tried to do lot of different things but I am not succeeding. So thought that you may help me in solving this problem. Please give me some solutions to stop the Office Update that offers Updates for uninstalled Office programs.

Re: Office Update offers Updates for uninstalled Office programs

When you visit the Microsoft Office Online to find updates for Microsoft Office programs, Office Update may offer updates to programs that do not have installed on your computer. Or, you may be prompted to insert the CD for an earlier version of Microsoft Office. For example, you may be offered updates for Microsoft Office 2003 to improve the performance of Microsoft Office XP Pro Or, you may be asked to insert your Office XP CD so the installation program can access the file ProPlus.msi.

This behavior can occur when you upgrade the Microsoft Office programs from one version to another. In this context, it is possible that some components of the previous version remain on the team. For example, by default, if you install Microsoft Office 2000 Premium or Office XP Pro Plus, Microsoft FrontPage 2000 or Microsoft FrontPage 2002 is respectively installed. When you upgrade to Microsoft Office 2003, the previous version of Microsoft FrontPage can stay on the computer because FrontPage is not updated by Office 2003.

By default, this behavior can occur when updates become available for components that may not be installed. Furthermore, this behavior can occur when users choose not to install certain components. For this reason, some Microsoft Office components remain on your computer. When you visit Office Update to find updates, you can find components of the previous version, while the system may offer updates to the version in question.

To solve the problem, remove the earlier Office components that you no longer want on your computer. To do this, follow these steps :
    1. Quit all Office programs.
    2. Click Start and then Control Panel.
    3. Click Add or Remove Programs.
    4. In the Currently installed programs list, click the previous version of Office programs that you no longer want on your computer and then click Remove to uninstall.

The screening program Office Update checks for installed products. The program makes recommendations for updates for any part of the Office products installed on your system. To prevent the update from installing on your computer, clear the check box to update the list of results of Office Update detection. Just install the updates you want. The next time you visit the Office Update site, you will recommend the update that decided not to install.