Thread: Installing Eclipse Plugins

Installing Eclipse Plugins

Hello sir ,

I am going to learn the programming using Eclipse development environment in C and my teacher has assigned me a Disk for installation.I need to know the procedure to installation of Eclipse Plug ins for Eclipse development environment because sir told me to install the plug ins also and I am confused why plug in is needed for this.

I am not so sure about the installation with the plug ins.So please tell me the procedure.

Thanks.

This plug-in method is a supported software component framework. In addition to work with Eclipse and using different programming languages like C and Python, the plug-in framework facilitate to interacts with Eclipse to easily work with developing application into different languages like developing networking applications such as telnet, and database management systems.

The plug-in architecture is compatible with writing any desired extension to the environment,For example - For configuration management, Java and CVS support is tagged in the Eclipse SDK, with Subversion support provided by third-party plug-ins.

Normal Method of Installing Eclipse Plugin

I will choose the Eclipse Web-tools Plugin for description of the normal method of installing Eclipse Plugins.

The Eclipse SDK folder is installed in the system and grouped like the hierarchy of the directory :

The parent folder Eclipse-SDK-3.2-Win32 contains the following folder -
    1- Eclipse
    2- Features
    3- Plug ins
    4- Read me

After extracting the webtools,you get some files named :
    wtp
    eclipse
    features
    plug ins

Now copy the contained files inside the “features” into the “features” folder of eclipse and perform the same with the “plugins” folder.

Installing Eclipse Plugins using Update Manager

You can install the plugins using the provided feature within the Eclipse development environment named Update Manager.

The update manger will extract the features and choose to put the check mark on the features which you need to install and the installation would be continued.

Using this facility you get some added advantage is that during the selection of component you would also be optioned to see the dependent plugins that needs to be installed where as the webtool doesn't provide like this.

Installing Eclipse Plugins Easy Way

Easy Way installation:

There is very easy way to install the plug ins.Very few users are known about this concept and Eclipse doesn’t introduce the documentation for this method anywhere.

This approach uses the concept of “Links”. This is the description of step by step procedure :

1. Make a folder as Links inside the eclipse folder using the directory structure from the post of glenny.
    2. Create a new file into the links folder and name it as wtp.link.the file must be .link.
    3. Assuming that the Web tools has been copied into D:\thirdparty

The contents of wtp.link would be as follows:
    Code:
    path=D:/thirdparty/wtp