Thread: File compression software for mac

File compression software for mac

Hello to all,
    I am new to this forum. I recently bought a cool new Macbook pro which has Mac OS X installed in it. I want to know that, is there any file compression software for mac like in the windows. If anyone know anything about it, then please help me.
    Thank you.

Re: File compression software for mac

As per my information ZipIt is best for mac. ZipIt is a Macintosh program that zips and unzips archives in a format fully compatible with PKZip for the IBM and zip implementations on other systems. ZipIt features a complete Macintosh interface. In version 2.0, the ZipIt interface has been completely overhauled. Now easier to use than even before, ZipIt makes file compression fun. A zip archive is any file that ends with the extension '.zip'.

You have to use CleanArchiver for your Macbook pro. CleanArchiver is a simple and nifty archiving utility. It supports not only standard archive types such as gzip, bzip2, and zip, but also compressed Disk Image. In addition if the DropStuff application published by Allume Systems Inc. is installed on your system, CleanArchiver can create StuffIt and StuffIt X archives by calling DropStuff via AppleScript. Moreover CleanArchiver has the ability not to include system files peculiar to Mac OS X such as .DS_Store and custom icon file (Icon\r) in your archive. So your archive is always clean on other operating systems.

As per my information you have to use Compress Files for Mac OS X. Compress Files is an easy-to-use tool for compress, archive, encrypt files and omit Mac-specific invisible files. Compress Files is an universal program for Mac OS X that enable Mac users to easily create:

* Zip compressed archives (.zip)
    * TAR archives (.tar)
    * Gzip compressed archives (.tar.gz)
    * Bzip2 compressed archives (.tar.bz2)
    * Xar archives (.xar)
    * 7zip compressed archives (.7z)
    * Compressed Disk Image (.dmg)

Bezipped is a file compression and archive utility built on top of the bzip2 command line tool that comes with Mac OS X. In general, Bezipped creates smaller archives than those generated by Finder’s “Compress” functionality. Couple that with the fact that Bezipped also allows you to create “Windows safe” archives (archives without the dreaded ._ files), and the ability to put archives where you choose, and you’ve got a one stop compression shop.

I think you must use YemuZip for your mac. YemuZip is an easy-to-use application for making zip files. Just drag, drop, name your zip file and you're done. The Finder's Archive function makes zip files that contains Mac-specific information that, when extracted on a PC, looks like garbage. YemuZip lets you choose between a PC-compatible format and a Mac format that preserve all the Mac-specific metadata.