Thread: What is Excel Statistical Functions: POISSON?

What is Excel Statistical Functions: POISSON?

Hello everyone,
    I am currently studying with the statistical functions of an Excel. I am not having much knowledge about the statistical functions that are used in Excel. I am being told to write about the POISSON in an assignment, but since I don't know anything about it, I thought to take help from you guys.!! So please tell me what is Excel Statistical Functions: POISSON? Expecting some help soon.!!

Re: What is Excel Statistical Functions: POISSON?

When cumulative = TRUE, the function POISSON (x, mu, cumulative) returns the probability that a random variable with mean mu POISSON takes a value less than or equal to x. When cumulative = FALSE, POISSON returns the probability that a random variable takes a value exactly equal to x. POISSON distribution is often used to model the number of occurrences of certain events such as the number of customers arriving in a function to put in the queue or the number of proofreading errors in an article. Because the POISSON distribution is used to count this way, x must be a non-negative integer.
    Blessings to you

the following is the Syntax of the Poisson :
    • POISSON (x, mu, cumulative)

You should know that x is a non-negative integer, mu is a positive number, but not necessarily an integer and cumulative is a logical variable that takes the values True or False.
    QTechnology Ultra-Quiet ATX PSU 460W I MSI K8N Neo4-F I AMD Opteron 144 CABNE0545 2.66Ghz I 2 x 512MB RAM I 380GB Maxtor SATAI Raid0 Hard Drive I 40GB Maxtor IDE Hard Drive I Nvidia GeForce 7900GTX I Win XP Home Service Pack 2 I Soundblaster Xtreme Fidelity Fatal1ty I Mercury Home Theater HT-4500

I am providing you an information about the Microsoft Excel 2004 for Macintosh. Since you have not mentioned the operating system or the version of the MS Office. The statistical functions in Microsoft Excel 2004 for Mac were updated using the same algorithms that were used to update the statistical functions in Excel 2003 and later versions. The information in this article describes how a function or how a function was modified for Excel 2003 and later versions also apply to Excel 2004 for Mac.

The non cumulative Poisson (x, mu, false) uses the following formula :
    • EXP(-x)*(mu^x)/FACT(x)

Overflow occurs when mu ^ x is too large. This does not occur if mu ^ ^ x 10 ^ 290 (or equivalently x * LOG10 (mu) <290). (FACT x) must also not exceeded. X <= 170 guarantees that. However, earlier versions of Excel does not check these conditions.
    Dimension 1100 (FMY032J) mini-tower
    2.53ghz Intel Pentium 4
    80 gig nfts HDD
    512 RAM
    Main circuit board: Dell 0CF458
    BIOS: Dell A00
    Display: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adaptor]
    Multimedia: Sound MAX Integrated Digital Audio
    Windows XP Home SP2