Thread: What is Excel statistical function : GROWTH?

What is Excel statistical function : GROWTH?

Hello friends,
    I am using the Microsoft Office 2003 in my system. I want to know that how the results of the function for Excel 2003 is compared with results of growth in previous versions of Excel. I just know that growth is evaluated by calling the related function, linest. So I need more explanation on this.!! Please tell me what is Excel statistical function : GROWTH? Any other information related to the topic would be grateful.!!
    Do not email me asking for tech support. Any private support is billable at $50 an hour.

Re: What is Excel statistical function : GROWTH?

I think that you should know about basic concepts before using that functions. The growth function (known_y, known_x, new_x constant) is used to perform a regression analysis is to fit an exponential curve. It uses a least-squares criterion and growth tries to find the best fit in that criteria. Known_y represent data from the "dependent" variable and known_x represent data in one or more "independent variables". The Help file describes cases where growth can skip the second or third argument.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signatureto help him gain world domination

Assuming there are p predictor variables, essentially calls growth LOGEST. LOGEST. LOGEST. LOGEST fits an equation of the form :
    Code:
    y = b * (m1^x1) * (m2^x2) * ... * (mp^xp)
    The values of the coefficients, b, m1, m2 ,..., mp are determined that give the best fit to the data y. If the last argument "constant" is set to TRUE, you want the regression model to include the multiplication coefficient b in the regression model. If set to FALSE, b is essentially excludes set to 1. The last argument is optional if you omit the argument is interpreted as TRUE.
    QTechnology Ultra-Quiet ATX PSU 460W I MSI K8N Neo4-F I AMD Opteron 144 CABNE0545 2.66Ghz I 2 x 512MB RAM I 380GB Maxtor SATAI Raid0 Hard Drive I 40GB Maxtor IDE Hard Drive I Nvidia GeForce 7900GTX I Win XP Home Service Pack 2 I Soundblaster Xtreme Fidelity Fatal1ty I Mercury Home Theater HT-4500

You should suggest you to first understand about the data that is arranged in columns so that a column of data and is of known and known_x is one or more columns of data in x. This is the simplest way to understand the concepts. Of course, the dimensions (length) of each of these columns must be equal. New_x also supposed to be organized in columns and should be the same number of columns for new_x to known_x. Our following comments are equally true if the data are not organized in columns, but it's just easier to discuss this single case (use most often).
    Dimension 1100 (FMY032J) mini-tower
    2.53ghz Intel Pentium 4
    80 gig nfts HDD
    512 RAM
    Main circuit board: Dell 0CF458
    BIOS: Dell A00
    Display: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adaptor]
    Multimedia: Sound MAX Integrated Digital Audio
    Windows XP Home SP2

You should have a look at the syntax of the Growth, which is as follows :
    • GROWTH(known_y's, known_x's, new_x's, constant)

The arguments, known_y, known_x and new_x must be arrays or cell ranges that have related dimensions. If known_y a column by m rows and columns known_x is cym rows where c is greater than or equal to one. C is the number of predictor variables, m is the number of data points. New_x then must be c columns by rows r where r is greater than or equal to one. (Similar relations dimensions must be maintained if data are placed in rows instead of columns). Constant is a logical argument to be set to TRUE or FALSE (or 0 or 1 that Excel interprets as FALSE or TRUE, respectively). The three last arguments are optional growth, see the Help file growth options omit the second argument, the third argument, or both, if you omit the fourth argument is interpreted as TRUE.
    Blessings to you

You should also know about the usage of the GROWTH. I have tried to explain the same. The most common use of growth includes two ranges of cells that contain data, such as growth (a1: A100, B1: F100 B101: F108, TRUE). Note that since there is usually more than one predictor variable, the second argument in this example contains multiple columns. In this example, one hundred subjects, the value of a dependent variable (arguments) for each item and five dependent variable values (known_x) for each item. There are eight additional hypothetical cases to be used to calculate growth and predicted values. Hope that it helps you.!!