Thread: How to prevent files from opening automatically in Excel?

How to prevent files from opening automatically in Excel?

Hello friends,
    I am learning some advanced things in Excel and I really get pissed when many files opens in an Excel automatically. I want to fix this issue. I have tried a different things to do but I am not succeeding. So lastly I thought to ask you guys about this. So please tell me how to prevent files from opening automatically in Excel? Also I don't want to uninstall my MS Office because I am not having the setup CD.
    Do not email me asking for tech support. Any private support is billable at $50 an hour.

Re: How to prevent files from opening automatically in Excel?

When you start Excel, all the files that are located in the XLStart folder are automatically opened. This behavior occurs regardless of the type of file. Additionally, if you specified an alternative startup folder for Excel, every file in that folder is also automatically opened. To specify an alternative startup folder, in Microsoft Excel 2002 or Microsoft Office Excel 2003, click Options on the Tools menu, and then click the General tab. In Microsoft Office Excel 2007, click the Microsoft Office Button, click Excel Options, click the Advanced tab, and then locate the General section. This behavior may cause Excel to stop responding or this behavior may cause Excel to take a long time to start if either of the following conditions is true :
    1. The files in either startup folder are not valid Excel files.
    2. The files are stored on a network drive that has a slow network connection.

When you start Excel, any files that are located in the XLStart folders or the alternative startup folder start to open. To prevent the files in these locations from opening when you start Excel, you can start Excel in safe mode. Starting Excel in safe mode prevents all add-ins, toolbar customizations, and startup folders from loading when Excel is started. You can use a command-line switch to start Excel in safe mode. After doing this you will get the following message :
    "Excel has detected that you are holding down the CTRL key. Do you want to start Excel in Safe mode?"
    If you click Yes, Excel starts in safe mode. You can then clear the alternative startup location as described earlier.

If there are files in the XLStart folder or alternate startup folder that you want opened when Excel starts, and do not want to move to a different folder, you can use modifiers to the command line to avoid it. It can use either the / safe switch and the / automation for this purpose. You should keep in mind that the / safe start Excel in Safe mode. The / automation switch disables all automatically opened files and auto-run macros. If Microsoft Windows Installer starts when you use one of these switches from the command line, click Cancel to finish starting Excel.

When you start Excel, any file that is in the XLStart folder or alternate startup folder start to open. You can press ESCAPE after the files start to open to prevent the opening of other files. When you press ESCAPE, you may receive one or both of the following messages:
    • Do you want to cancel opening all files from the startup file location choice?
    • Do you want to cancel opening all files from the location of XLStart?

If you click Yes in either message, Excel starts without opening any additional files from the startup locations. Do not hold the ESCAPE key. Doing so will close it down before you can click Yes.

To use a modifier to the command line to start Excel, follow these steps :
    1. Click Start and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type either of the following lines:
      Code:
      excel.exe / safe 
      excel.exe / automation
    3. Click OK.

If Microsoft Windows Installer starts when you use one of these switches from the command line, click Cancel to finish starting Excel.
    Dimension 1100 (FMY032J) mini-tower
    2.53ghz Intel Pentium 4
    80 gig nfts HDD
    512 RAM
    Main circuit board: Dell 0CF458
    BIOS: Dell A00
    Display: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adaptor]
    Multimedia: Sound MAX Integrated Digital Audio
    Windows XP Home SP2