Thread: Remove wd smartware

Remove wd smartware

Hello,

After many return with Western Digital, I learned that the virtual CD automatically installed on their external hard drive 1TB CAN NOT BE DELETED. I find it unacceptable that buying a 1TB capacity, approximately 700 MB is used by software, again, is a virtual cd that we can not eject from his office in the dismantling every time by Disk Utility. If you've ever had this problem, thank you for saying what you did, I find it outrageous to force consumers to keep software (paying extra at the end of a month) which takes up space and requires to manipulations to eject the hard drive.

Re: Remove wd smartware

Hello,

I do not know if you really need the software but you can delete the partition using "Disk Utility". I too have a WD ... I have never installed. I think I did well .. In short, If we uninstall this thing, it must revert to the "normal" .

Delete wd smartware from WD External Hard Disk

Thank you I tried but its not working I say it's impossible to move files to the hard drive I have to go through the software . it's clear I can transfer files to my hard drive without using the WD software but through the workstation. Any one have removed it somehow?

Re: Remove wd smartware

Hello

I have the same problem, I can not eject it, but I use "Disk Utility" and got 999.5 GB in 1 TB. It does not solve the problem but I have 2 partitions of 500 GB . The WD response: "I'm sorry, but the virtual drive Smartware''''can not be deleted but disabled." And most importantly, it eats 700 MB of space, so they sell a 1 TB, but this is not true ...

Disable the VCD - WD SmartWare

The VCD is necessary if you wish to install WD SmartWare or if you want to use the encryption and password protection features on the drive. If you don't wish to run WD SmartWare or use the security features, you can disable the VCD following the steps below. The VCD can be re-enabled by running the VCD manager.

• All AntiVirus software MUST be disabled
    • All Anti-Spyware software MUST be disabled
    • NY and ALL programs that would require drive access during the update MUST be disabled

Failure to perform these precautions may cause data corruption/loss and/or drive failure.

How to install the Virtual CD Manager

Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7

STEP 1: Firmware Update: Release 1.032 (11/16/09)

Before running the Virtual CD Manager, you must first update the firmware on your hard drive.

1. Disconnect all other external drives from the computer except for the My Book or My Passport hard drive you want to update.
    2. Download the Firmware Updater for Windows.
    3. Unzip the file and double click to open the Firmware Updater.
    4. Click Continue to update the firmware.
    5. Verify the attached drive's serial number located on the back of the drive.
    6. Click Update Firmware.
    7. Click Accept the End User's License Agreement (EULA). The updater will scan the drive; this may take a few minutes.
    8. Once the updater is finished, click Exit.
    9. Turn off the drive - For My Passport, disconnect the USB cable. For My Book disconnect both USB and power cables.
    10. Wait 10 seconds. Reconnect the USB/power cables.

STEP 2:
    Download and run the VCD Manager

• Download VCD Manager for Windows.(WDSmartWareVirtualCDManagerforWindows-v1.0.7.4.zip) to your desktop.
    • Unzip the utility (Extract the file using an extraction utility.)
    • Double click WDSmartWareVirtualCDManagerforWindows-v1.0.7.4.exe.
    • Click Continue to disable the VCD.
    • Once the utility has found your drive, click Configure Drive and then click Exit.
    • Turn off the drive - For My Passport, disconnect the USB cable. For My Book disconnect both USB and power cables.
    • Wait 10 seconds. Reconnect the USB/power cables that have been disconnected in the previous step.
    • Verify that the VCD no longer appears.

Source: wdc.com
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

ThumbsUp Re: Remove wd smartware

Thanks dude, it works